In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Japanese Bayonet

crazy charliecrazy charlie Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
JapaneseBayonetUnsheathed.jpg

I am trying to identify the above bayonet and approx. value for insurance purposes.
It obviously has a hooked quillon and appears to have a birds head contoured pommel, serial # 3959253,riveted wood handle (my references show only a screw held handle for a shiny blade), three circle arsenal mark (Toyoko or Kokura my references both look alike) Toyko would be prior to 1936 and Kokura would be 1936-45.
Any help would be appreciated.
Apologies if I posted this on the wrong forum.[?]

Comments

• Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.arms2armor.com/Bayonets/bayonets.htm
    http://www.bayonetsonline.com/

The guys here are really smart but you might have better luck with these places
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Maxx424.[8D]
    The one site confirms it was made prior to 1937.
    Bayonets wants you to buy a membership for an appraisal and I'm basically cheap.
    I do know that with the frog, which is original as it was brought back by a GI, adds to the value.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $150- 200 imo,,,looks like a clean one,,,nambu
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No expert but looks exactly like my Arisaka bayonet that was a bring back by my uncle, with the rifle. I bought another several years ago. I only paid $10 for the second one at a gun show. I hope that estimate is right as I have seen several at recent gun shows and I don't think any were over $25.00.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy ALL YOU CAN FOR 25 bucks....I wish I could stumble on to something like that. ,,,nambu
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mm8nambu
    Buy ALL YOU CAN FOR 25 bucks....I wish I could stumble on to something like that. ,,,nambu
    I looked at that site. They are asking $500 for one. Must be something different but it looks the same. I need to find out more I guess. Can't believe its worth 5 times what the rifle is. I'm amazed. I've had the rifle and bayo for 30 years and never thought it was worth anything. Holy bayonet, Batman.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told by a collecter that there is something like 65 (I can't remember exactly) variations of Japanese WWII era bayonets and some are really pricey. I would guess in the $150.00 range with the frog being in such good shape. I have not seen one even without a frog for less than $65.00 in the last year or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like I opened up a can of worms.
    Based on the info from all of you and my research The bayonet was made prior to 1937 at the Tokyo arsenal and was not made by a subcontractor (that's where the variations come into play), and there were three basic designs.
    I think I'll insure it for $200 and if something happens to it I'll let the insurance company go out and find one at a yard sale.
    The value of anything is that which man places on it, but not necessarily what he can afford to pay for it.
    I looked at that $500 thing and if I were at a yard sale I'd offer $10( as I grow older it seems like I learn more and more about less than less)
    Holy Bayonet, Batman! I love it![:D]
    Thanks for your help guys.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    There's alot of factors in considering the value of a Japanese bayonet. MFG, overall condition, has blade been sharpened, condition of scabbard (Since they are long, they often are found slightly warped).
    IMO, probably the most valueable piece of your bayo group is the frog. Original Frogs in good condition are generally $50-$75 by themselves.
    Your bayo, while apparently in VG condition, is of common MFG. With the scabbard it is IMO worth about $60.-$70. I'd probably estimate overall value of Bayo/scabbard/frog in the $125.-$150 range.