In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

National Match or Standard

jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
How do you differentiate between the different models of m1A's?

Since there is nothing on the weapon that states it is a national match version?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look on top the barrel near the front sight. Mine says it's a match barrel.
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok, it's very faint but it says NM .305, which i find odd, it isn't technically a 308 if it's 7.62 x 51, is .305 the barrel id on a 7.62 mm?

anyway, big sigh of relief that it has NM, I thought I had just gotten a real expensive "education".

my next ? is the rear adj sights, says 1/2 moa on springfields web site.

however, on this rifle the elevation is marked in whole even numbers with a dash to mark the odd numbers and it appears the clicks are 4 per number (ie 1/4 moa adjustment)

then we go to windage and there is no marking at all except for left and right on nob, and then at back of sight there is 4 tiny scribed marks each way from a center reference (this is on the back of the sight about 1/2" forward of where it is stamped us rifle.

the rear site is a round hole (that is an aperture, correct?)

just trying to figure out if I got what I paid for or not. (please don't comment , I"m starting to realize I should have done the homework first) got a little anxious.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Rear sight elevation adjustment is in 1MOA (little more than 1" for 100 yards) per click. The 1/2 MOA that you read about in the literature is a "final adjustment" to the sight by turning the actual aperture (hole you sight through) 1/2 turn. You should have a little hood (looks like a shade) surrounding the rear sight aperture. Grab that, and turn it.

Loosten the left screw. Re-tighten it slightly. After you have sighted-in for one hundred yards (preferably 100 meters, as M14 sights are in meters), carefully re-loosen the left screw. You are now able to line up the "1" index mark on the elevation wheel with the scribe mark that is on the receiver. Don't throw the sight out of adjustment when you are loostening the screw. The other numbers on the elevation wheel will represent meters-of-distance settings for the more distant shots.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just because a gun has a NM bbl doesnt mean its a NM gun. here is a list of what makes a NM gun a NM by MILSPEC definition....
    blackr1.jpg
    black1.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys for the tips and the help. (especially the tips on indexing the sights and the explanation of the numbers. makes much more sense with the large numbers as meters then as MOA.

After 12 hours of stressing about if I paid match price for a standard gun I called springfield with the serial number.

the rifle was an NA 9102 national match rifle.

a few things interesting, for example this rifle does not have NM on the receiver, as that previous post diagram shows it should, and the lady at Springfield told me she did not believe they had ever made a practice of stamping the receiver.

who knows, anyway, I"m looking forward to getting out and shooting with it and will post updates after that.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Jesnlsn: givette here
    At a federal armory, when they change-out to new tooling to replace the old tooling that has become worn out and is out of tolerance, the first run of receivers from the new tooling have traditionally been put aside for use in special programs (match/sniper).

So, don't bother with the lack of the "NM" stamping on your receiver. That's a military ordnance "proofmark" indicating the receiver has been set aside for/by the corps/division armorer. And passed muster. You won't see it on a "civilian" type receiver such as your M1A. Best, Joe
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    though designated NM, its not a real NM unless ALL PARTS work in harmony to achieve MOA. please note my earlier pics were of a MILSPEC 14NM. civilian versions vary.
    as long as it was confirmed by the shop as a NM gun, odds are youre good to go...unless previous owners swapped out certain parts.
    case in point...you plop down 90 grand on what you perceive to be a 1966 gt350 mustang. when you get it home, you realize the frame is a gt350 mustang, but the original engine was removed and replaced with an in line 6, the tires arent correct diameter, and the seats were removed and a bench seat from a 61 ford falcon was put in.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.