In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 7mm rem mag

lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a s/s winchester model 70 that was a 7mm rem mag. Somewhere along the way, someone rechambered it for 7mm stw. Is this a safe coversion? I realize that the rim size is the same, but will the overall length of the stw be to long to fit in the action?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The magazine box will be the limiting factor. You should be able to get one in it and one in the mag. The rifle should handle it just fine. If it were me I just treat it as a single shot and load nice big long boattails ahead of a lot of slow burning ball powder.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it will be fine. The magazine may be a tad shorter, but I would have to compare it to one from an original 7mm STW to know for sure. The factory barrel blank would have been the same, just reamed to an STW chamber rather than a rem mag chamber during production.
  • Options
    gumbydamnitgumbydamnit Member Posts: 793 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might have already lenghtened the magazine box. I could not find the STW I wanted so I took a 7mm mag and had it rechambered and the box lenghthened.