In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A500 Browning stock damage

foofoo Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have an A500 with chips broken off of the stock where it meets the receiver. Looking at other a500's on the site shows that many have the same damage. Apparently a poor design. I have a brand new stock for mine but hesitant to install. What can I do to avoid the same damage occuring........a spacer or a bedding material? The area of the stock which fits inside the receiver is inletted to accomodate 2 1/4 inch pins which makes the stock very thin at that point. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    glass bed the new stock/receiver joint.
  • Sling WorksSling Works Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a 500 R, the earlier one without red detailing.

I bought mine NIB at a show a few weeks ago, and while i havn't had it long I have put quite a few shells of all types through it already, and not even 1 miss...

I have seen several of the 500's with chipped stocks, seems to have been a real issue with that model...

From what I can tell it's a combination of the later style (90 on?) stock coupled with magnum loads.

I havn't seen an early 500 (88-90) with stock damage, but many of the later ones do seem to exhibit it.

I think Mike Whiskey has the best advice, to glass bed the joint and keep your stock bolt tight as posible.

Personally, I really like this shotgun. I also have an A5 MAG, but I like the 500 better.

-CS
  • tenwalkertenwalker Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my a500 when they first came out. I have put thousands of rounds thru it with no chips and no problems. I really love to shot this gun. Dale
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    +1 on the glas bed-- it will solve the problem.....