In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester rifles

dbumpdbump Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering the year of manufacture of a Winchester model 94 with a serial # of 35769xx.And also the year and approx. value at 90% of a Winchester model 64 serial # 20157xx in .32 Win. Sp.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I?m a small collector in his 70 living in his childhood. I never has the dollar in my younger years to purchase the rifles. It seem like I have make some good buys and some bad buys. Example I just purchased a Winchester 1892 in Colorado that was in 44 wcf . I did a check with the Cody museum and came back original was a 38 wcf. I have done this a couple of times. Could someone please help me with, what happens to the price of the rifle and how do you know before you buy. The rifles look original and I would of never knowned the difference without checking. Thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have just looked at a Win Model 63 22LR with a stamp on the barrel and on the receiver "Not English Made". What does this mean? The s/n on this rifle indicates made in 1954.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies about my hatfield.i have a another question.my dad has a pair of winchester rifles, they are teddy roosevelt commemorative rifles,30-30,one is a long rifle and one is a short carbine.they have never been fired,have consecutive serial numbers, and he has the original boxes and sleeves.he is thinking about selling them,and was wondering about what they are worth.he also has a hatfield rifle like mine only in .45 cal, ser#497.thanks again. i really enjoy this site,reading peoples questions and opinions.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello dbump...

Well... at the risk of sounding like a smartass, it is an accurate statement[:D]. The better question I believe, is why did someone put that mark on the rifle?

Does the rifle have British (London or Birmingham) proof marks stamped on the barrel and frame (to go along with the "Not English Made")? If it does, then I believe the mystery is solved.

Welcome to the forum.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if the requirement for that marking is still in effect?

But it was required by the English proof law, that all foreign guns that didn't have proof marks that were accepted by the British proof houses, had to be reproofed and marked with the standard Britsh proof marks. In addition to that "Not English Made" marking.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK... I went to my reference book "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks" by Gerhard Wirnsberger, and this is what I found;

In the Chapter on England (starting on page 98), on page 107 (for those that also have this book), the Proof Rules of 1925 dictate that all foreign barrels proofed in England had to be marked "Not English Make" (note that the last word is "Make" versus "Made".

The Proof Rules of 1925 are still in effect today.

Bert H.

• Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to throw a wrench into the works, but I have a Winchester Md 12 "Duck" gun with British Proof Marks. However it has no wording about "Not English make/made" That requirement may have been changed. Rufe is correct, the Brits require all guns imported to be Proofed. Regards Dave
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrench #2- I have 2 WW2 manufactured Colt 32 autos issued to the RAF.They're covered with British proofs, but not that wording.Interesting....

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You guys are making life tough on me[:D]

OK, after further study I have discovered that the Proof Rules of 1925 are still in effect, but that some modifications to the rules were made and published in October of 1954. These modified rules went into effect on February 1, 1955, and the "Not English Make" stamp was eliminated at that time. So, the stamp in question was in use for 30 years... 1925 - 1955.

There... are you all satisfied now[?][}:)]

Bert H.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Bert sounds good to me. Didn't mean to make it rough on you!
    Regards Dave
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    You guys are making life tough on me[:D]

There... are you all satisfied now[?][}:)]

Bert H.

I'm not!!. My Colts[serial range 570,000] were made in 1940.Come on...get it right or don't post it!!!!

{ I'll bet military issue didn't follow the same rules.Thanks for the info, didn't know those dates[8D]]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

Gonna do an edit to keep under the 10 post lock.
    Thats a good point Dave, don't know what to tell ya.This is a consecutive numbered parkerized pair,each New in the Box. I purchased them in the early 1960's. The research I did at the time found they were shipped for RAF issue DURING WW2.They have numerous British proofs, just not the wording. I was thinking that the wording might have been only for commercial sales in England.The Military might have only required the proof testing.It would be interesting to find out.-Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hangfire: I know your Colts were made in 1940, but when were they sent to England? could it be possible that they were in storage for a number of years before going over? Could the Brits kept them in storage, pending proof. As I said I have Md 12 Duck with English proof, my gun was made in 63, I bought it in 88. All I know is it went over and came back sometime during that 25 year spand. Knowing the Brits are simalar to our armed forces, it wouldn't surprize me that they sat in some warehouse for several decades, before someone realized what they had. We sent tons of arms and ammo over there during the war, and some of it just sat. Regards Dave