In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Herco Powder

BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
Morning guys, just a quick question......I have a keg, (3 lbs.) of Herco powder that I inherited with some other shooting supplies, and in researching it, the info said it was mainly used for magnum shotshell reloading. Seeing as how I don't have any use for that, I was wondering if it would be usable in reloading trap rounds, that are usually loaded "down" a bit, so as not to cause flinching.
Would it be all right to use this powder in that type of shell, specifically 12 ga. 23/4 inch shells?

Thanks as always,

BigBarn[:o)]

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"

Comments

• Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Here is the website for alliant powder for shotgun loads. It looks like there are some available for you.http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=shotgun&gauge=12&step=1
  • Options
    warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you reload any handgun cartriges?
    It is also a good powder for pistol loads.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've packed my references, but a good rule of thumb is that *usually* a powder which works in shotshell loads will have applications in the handgun realm, and in my experience this is particularly true of Hercules (now Alliant) products. Many of these propellants have been around for the best part of a century, many are "dirty," but for a vast number of loads in a wide range of handgun calibers these remain "go-to" powders. Look at the mauals - Lyman's are, IMHO, the most versatile by far and ofen the best oveall; I'm sure you will find both handgun and shotshell loads.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / DemoWipes" (me)