In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 29-5 Classic Grips

mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
edited April 2004 in Ask the Experts
Will earlier S&W chackered Target "N" frame grips (like below) fit on my S&W model 29-5 Classic?

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=17995550

I bought this revolver to shoot and I really don't like the original "mono" rubber hogue grips.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    If'n your's is a sq Butt, they will fit. Better check around, Me thinks WAY to much Money
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The grips pictured are off of a 29-3. They are a little on the high side on price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really didn't even look at the price. I just want to make sure of what I am buying to fit the revolver. I've been told that the 29-5 Classic is a round butt. I believe the ones pictured in the ad above are for square butt, so they probably will not fit.

Thanks,

Mark
  • Options
    Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the revolver is a "Classic" it is a round butt. However safest thing to do is take the grip off and check it out.

2470100-M.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, The 29-5 Classic is a rnd butt gun. The grips in the pic will go on the gun, but you will have a space between the grip panels on the backstrap where the frame bends in at the bottom. It would look silly.

Hogue makes some nice grips for the N-frame Smiths. They make them in wood and rubber that fit the round butt to make it look like a square butt.

"Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Laredo. I'll check the internet for Hogue stuff. Doesn't need to be original. I have a small hand (although pretty strong arms) and all these grips with the "etched finger spacing" tend to spread my fingers apart to the point of being uncomfortable. I like wood grips and I use a glove with the index finger cut off.