In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cheap Scope

steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
edited May 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any suggestions on a good cheap scope? I know, I know, good and cheap is an oxymoron. Anyway, I am looking for a scope around a 100 bucks (or less) just to have as a spare for testing loads etc. I have a Ruger Mini-30 with a red dot scope and would like to put a "real" scope on it to test loads. After I get the best load combo I would put the red dot back on for hunting. Doesn't need to be much, just not total JUNK.

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bushnell Trophy 3x9x40 for $99.00. Best under $100 scope made.

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BSA...Check Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt...I'm impressed with the clarity for the price....Long term durability????..Don't know, but I'm happy with all of them, right down to the $20 .22 Special...

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can spend $100 get a Leupold VX-1 2-7 for $175.00,
    A cheap scope will wind up in the trash, a cheap scope is a waste of money.just my 2 cents.

use_deer.jpgnysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg
    "NOW GO HOME AND GET YOUR BLANKIN SHINE BOX!"
    (Billy Batts in Goodfellas)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the bushnell trophy 3-9x40. I have 2,..and they have taken quite a few rounds. The amber coated lenses in the trophy make it a very clear tube,.for the money.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    MikeBMikeB Member Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree with tapwater the BSA scope I use on my 30-06 has worked great for me.[:p]
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Millett 3x9 , nice and clear IMO. nmabu
  • Options
    brimickribrimickri Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the Millett, lifetime warranty as well, less than 100.00 for 3x9 6x18 are 109.99 IMO
  • Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JUST TOOK A BUSHNELL BANNER 4-12X40 OFF OF MY .223 AND REPLACED IT WITH A $100. BSA 6-24X40 AND CAN'T BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE. VERY HAPPY CAMPER--- ER SHOOTER..
  • Options
    BigGameHunter42BigGameHunter42 Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i also would have to say the bushnell trophy . BUT the nikon prostaff is also a very very good priced scope with a warranty too . a 3-9x should cost you about 150 $ or around that .

hope this helped . good luck [;)]
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me say that I do have glass by Burris, Redfield, Bushnell, Leupold and Tasco. The BSA's are crisper than any but maybe the Leupold. And that's a close call. Also have two BSA $40 red-dots that are flawless.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    jack524jack524 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a BSA man myself. I shoot a 8x32x50 Contender model that I have been very pleased with. It is a very low cost reliable scope. I recently attended a Sniper School in Burleson County, Texas and won the TopGun trophy with this scope on a .308 Remington VSS. I'm not bragging. It's just for comparison purposes. I was shooting next to all sorts of Leupold's and Zeiss scopes. We fired over 200 rounds during the week and there was no problem with the scope being knocked out of zero. BSA is the best bargain scope in my opinion.

We sleep safe in our beds at night because rough men wait to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    --
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello:
    I'm trying to build a load right now for a rifle with a 2 1/2 x 8 power Leupold. At 100 yards that 3/4" orange dot looks pretty small. I wish I had left the 4 1/2" to 14 power Leupold on that the rifle had come with . . . but like you the lower power
    will be more than adequate for hunting. I'm always suggesting spending more than the set limit; but if I were you I'd go to the local Walmart and check out the Leupold scopes sold under the WindRiver name. The optics are very bright, and I have not heard any complaints about quality. Their lower power scopes run about $150.00 +/-. I wouldn't be surpassed to see them even lower on a sale/surplus day. A year or so ago I walked into a Walmart, and picked up 4 close out Vari XII 3 x 9 Leupolds for $100.00 each. They had four, I bought four! I will say that like stereos, computers, etc., high quality scope makers are being given a run for their money. Some bright Bushnell's out there. I have not had very good luck with the Nikons. For durability its really tough to beat the Leupold line of scopes; if the WindRiver line is even close to the higher end Leupolds, I'd certainly put them on the "look through" list. You could probably compare most of the others possibles right there in the store. I'm not a big Walmart fan but if you want to stay in your budget that's where I'd start.