In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

342PD Price

KcKc Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have been looking at the S&W 342PD Titanium 38 for a while.
I like the gun - but not the price.
Local shop now has them on "sale"till Thursday for $460.00 new. This looks like a good deal to me, but I heard that S&W may have lowered the price permanently.
I cant decide if I should wait to see If this becomes the standard price. Or shut up and buy it now.
What do you think?
Thanks, Kc

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I think I'd stand By and wait...and see how the wind blows......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the good Cap'n here. A lot of hype on the Scandium framed .357's too. A friend bought one and couldn't figure what all the fuss about recoil was about (It's a .357). He'd been shooting .38 spec. I asked how many .357's he'd put thru it. After he had it a while, he tried the .357's. He's still on his first box.
    So I feel there will be a quite a few available slightly used soon enough.
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with alley strongly here! Very light weight and heavy cartridges make for a less than enjoyable range trip! These guns are great to carry, but who the he** wants to practice with the things, and as they say, practice with what you shoot. I shot a Scandium gun a few months ago and was unable to shoot my 45 compact without pain for 2 weeks afterwards. As a last ditch...great! As a practical, multi purpose shooter?... no way!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, expensive.

Yes, abusive.

I shoot the 38 Spcl Scandium J frames pretty easily. Enough to get a half box of 'full charge' loads through it (resting between cylinders with time spent behind other guns).

However, the 296 (44 Spcl) titanium is a bear. Can't go through more than 2 cylinders (10 rds) without 'warming' the palm of your hand. Any more than ten begins to HURT!

SEMPER FI