In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Machine Gun 'Shootout': MP5k, Vector Uzi, Mac-10?

apexassassinapexassassin Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I've been considering a machine gun for quite awhile now, and I've more or less narrowed it down to these models. I've shot those that are available (Uzi and MP5)...here are my thoughts:

HK MP5k:
Pros
Shoots very well.
Looks badass!
Rare, would probably hold value best of these options.
It's an MP5!

Cons
The range gun was prone to malfunction; not sure if it was the gun's fault or the range's.
EXPENSIVE (~$18k)!!!

VECTOR UZI
Pros
Reliable
Can be chambered in .45. 9mm, and .22 (read: cheap to shoot).
More affordable than MP5 (~$8k).

Cons
Not an MP5.

MAC-10
Pros
Least expensive machine gun available (~$4k).
Can be chambered in 9mm or .45.

Cons
Reliability (?)
Most common machine gun.
Also not an MP5.

**MAC-11 also an option, same thoughts as above (minus multiple caliber capacity).

Now, with all of that said, I'd like to hear from those of you with experience with these guns - which would you pick and why?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have fired limited rounds through all mentioned, and am not really thrilled with the function of the MP5. Not that it is not great in the hands of an experienced, trained user. (Knob Creek was expensive that year...likely the last time I'll get to do that too.) The MP5 is supposed to take a good stiff hold to machinate properly. The Uzi is a great choice. Like the MP5, I feel it suffers from a bit of the elevated expectations issue. The MAC's I've shot in Full and Semi form...not that great. Prone to malfunction more than the reat I shot, with Malfs I attribute to real stoppages, not just limp wristing or other poor techniques. While I realize they are differnet animals, the Cobrays I have seen (and will no longer shoot or be near when they are being fired)leave a lot to be desired. That is a thread for another time.
  • Options
    dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot the MP-5, and it is a nice piece, but it is complicated, and expensive. I've got a Mac-11, and a Vector Uzi. Since I got the Uzi, the MAC hasn't been out of the safe.

The UZI is accurate, easy to shoot, and extremely easy to break down and clean.

Even if $$ were no object, I'd still go with the Vector UZI.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I seem to hear more and more good things about the Uzi, which inclines me to consider it more seriously...and, ironically, vice versa for the MP5...

What I really like is the Mini Uzi: I like it's size and higher rate of fire. Does anyone know if it can be chambered in multiple calibers, like the full size?

TIA!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by apexassassin
    I seem to hear more and more good things about the Uzi, which inclines me to consider it more seriously...and, ironically, vice versa for the MP5...

What I really like is the Mini Uzi: I like it's size and higher rate of fire. Does anyone know if it can be chambered in multiple calibers, like the full size?

TIA!

If you want a high rate of fire get a M-10. 950 rpm.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't presume to give you financial advice, BUT.....your question used the words "expensive" & "affordable", which opened the door for me. If money is a concern, you shouldn't buy ANY of the guns discussed! They are TOYS, expensive TOYS! At today's prices, FA guns should only be bought by those who can easily afford them without ever worrying about the expense.

Remember, all it will take is a single case of abuse for our elected officials to outlaw civilian ownership of FA guns, & the fellas with the bulges in the cheap suits will take great pleasure in busting down the door of your house looking for all that you own.

Neal

"The only difference between men & boys is the price of their toys."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the concern nmyers, but I'm sure that even those with copius fortunes consider the cost of items before they purchase, and then weigh that cost against the pros and cons of the aforementioned item. That's all I'm doing, and I think I would be remiss not to.

Whoever said "if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford it" was an idiot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    If you want a high rate of fire get a M-10. 950 rpm.

Isn't a Mini 950 as well?
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, A Mini or Micro uzi cycles the same as a Uzi 600rpm
  • Options
    scottbscottb Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This strikes me as a silly post. The hk mp5 price seems too high, unless your looking for a pre 1968?(am i right?) import, thats more of a collectors item than a recreational shooters item. I don't think your going to buy any of these firearms. Somebody who was would know what they wanted and independently research the model, and know exact prices. I wouldn't post an automobile forum and ask others what car THEY thought I should purchase (disregarding price too). Just ask which of these guns people think is cooler. Thats what we're really talking about. Its ok, i'm not buying one either.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    No, A Mini or Micro uzi cycles the same as a Uzi 600rpm

Interesting; so it this wrong? http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg17-e.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottb
    This strikes me as a silly post. The hk mp5 price seems too high, unless your looking for a pre 1968?(am i right?) import, thats more of a collectors item than a recreational shooters item. I don't think your going to buy any of these firearms. Somebody who was would know what they wanted and independently research the model, and know exact prices. I wouldn't post an automobile forum and ask others what car THEY thought I should purchase (disregarding price too). Just ask which of these guns people think is cooler. Thats what we're really talking about. Its ok, i'm not buying one either.

The only prices I'm aware of are those at my local shop (Impact) and on Gunbroker, so if $18k seems high perhaps those sellers are being unrealistic. If you don't think I'm a serious buyer, then that's your perogative, but don't think that just because I'm asking people here for personal experience that I'm not independently researching these items seperately - in fact, this post is just one part of my research. Would you post in an automobile forum asking people about their personal experience with the cars you were thinking of buying, especially if you didn't know anyone with them personally? I think you would, or at least should. I'll post a pic for you once I make my decision. [:X]