In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Did Beretta make a 16 gauge silver snipe?

outlaw4x4outlaw4x4 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a 12 gauge and love it. I am looking to buy a 20gauge and was wondering if they ever made a 16 gauge. I have not found very much info on the silver snipe.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    16 Gauge is very popular and common in Europe, as opposed to this side of the pond. As their is little demand/value for 16's in the U.S., few importers/distributors will bother with them. Chances are the only way your going to get your hands on a 16 gauge ANYTHING is to import it yourself, or if your lucky enough, buy it off some guy who brought it back from overseas.
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outlaw,
    The Silver Snipe was imported by JL Galef and sons in the early 60's. As far as I know from my catalog it was only in 12 ga. The plain bbl was $159.75 and the vent bbl was $199.00. Their highest priced double went for $1500. The Snipe weighed 6.5 lbs. Hope it helps. These were prices in 1960
    JK
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a Verona 16 gauge double. I was looking at one in a Gander Mountain about a year ago. I personally have a newer Remington 870 wingmaster in 16 gauge and absolutely love it. Kimber has the Valier in 16 gauge.
  • Options
    steve Thomassteve Thomas Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a 20 guage full/mod in the mid 60's when I was about 15 years old. I shared it with my twin brother. My dad sold it (and a 20 G Winchester Quail Fargo) to upgrade to a couple of hydra-coil M-12's.
  • Options
    outlaw4x4outlaw4x4 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. My silver snipe 12 gauge was my first over and under and I purchased it when I was 16 or so. Kind of have a sentimental attachment to them. I would really like to complete the collection and get the 20 and the 16. Anybody have any ideas on the best way to get one imported?