In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning A-5 info

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
So I acquired this gun 12ga A-5 Plain barrel. Serial #363XXX which is on the rec, bbl and the forearm wood. It has a Poly choke on it. Is this factory or not . Im getting conflicting reports.The butt plate has ben removed and a pad added which I assume is not orig either. It has a round knob pistol grip and some engraving . It says belgum on the bbl but also St louis Mo . Whats the deal. I know somebody will straighten this out . Some of you guys always knows. Thanx Steve

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the bbl has a choke mark, it isnt a factory polychoke. all factory polychokes were added to bbls before a choke mark was put on.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention that. It does not have the marking of choke on the bbl. Lots of other stuff though. It has quite a bit of engraving on it with I think John Brownings pic on the rec.Im not at all up on Brownings.So now we can ASSUME that the Poly choke is factory., That will answer one question. Thanx Bobski
  • Options
    edited November -1
    poly may be factory, now you must determine if the bbl is original to the gun. check the serial numbers to see if they match the receiver and bbl.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They do . BBl -rec and forearm wood all the same.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    youre in business![:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The choke markings if I remember correctly are:
    * for Full Choke
    ** for Modified
    *** for Imp. Cyl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TWalker I just found that out tonight. I thought it would say FULL MODIFIED ETC on the barrel. NOT.... Thats hoow little I know bout Brownings. It has a single mark as you described so it was a full at one time i guess and the Poly choke has been added. By the factory I understand but it has been added. I also learned its bout a 52 model with a 363xxx serial number. Made in Belguim but distributed out of St Louis. Thanx to all for the info. I guess its not as valuable as I once thought it was. Guess Ill shoot some doves with it next month. Steve