In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a price on a 99% colt 1911 made in 1916

pandamariepandamarie Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
I just got a colt 1911 in trade for car work with a serial#C28xxx
it is in like new condition as I was told owned a carried by General Mcarthers aide during WW2. it does have a minor bit of holster wear on the very front of the slide.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    With a "C" prefix, the story you were told is proably bogus.
    The question you are asking is somewhat akin to "My car's broke, how much to fix it".
    Much more info and pictures are needed to even begin to give you an answer.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first thing you need to do is get some pics up . 2nd ...Don't repost the same topic and lastly wait until the real experts get around after work or before. I'd help but without pics and serial# woh knows what you have and if you say there's wear on it from the holster it puts it in the 80 to 85% or less condition 96% would be almost NIB. Look up some of the BB grading info.

PJ
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Short answer a bunch . Long answer never buy a gun for the story of who owned it unless you have documented "PROOF" .Buy the gun on it's merit and if you later get proof of the story that will be gravy. 99% would be VERY HARD to believe on a pistol that anyone "carried" unless it was refinished . If refinished by your BUBBA rebluer if could be worth very little. As other posters have stated Pictures With close-ups of ALL markings are a must and IMHO the only way to get a true value on a pistol that MAY be what you think it is whould to have a KNOWN COLT EXPERT do a HANDS ON appraisal.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the forum

agreed with all of the above, no one is trying to be a hard *, just image how many Jesse James guns we all have seen, if he would have owned a fraction of those he would have had to rode a covered wagon to carry them

the serial number does not match up, but some pics would help greatly
  • Options
    pandamariepandamarie Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry about the double posting, the first one didnt show up after 10 minutes so I posted again, Since I didnt buy the gun it was gave to me im not out anything. even if it is only 85% which it is much better than that. I have pictures but dont know how to post them here. Had one local colt expert look at it and he said its still all original with original blueing and looked like it only had factory test firing run through it. He wanted to buy it and gave me an offer of 1500 bucks, I figure if he wants it it has to be worth more than that. doesnt really matter since im not going to sell it. I will try the people at Colt.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If it is truely all orginal and 99 % his offer is not even 50% of what it is worth . Colt will be able to give "sell you for $100.00 or more" a letter but only a hands on will be able to tell if it is all orginal with correct parts. Sounds like you got very well paid for your auto repair skills and now have an item many of us would love to own .I think if you send 1911a1fan some of your pictures in an email I hope he will be good enough to post them for you for the rest of us to see & enjoy.Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    The 'C' prefix means it's an early production 1911. I almost bought C102
    last year - that production date was - as I recall - Ap. 1912. It was in
    pretty good shape and I could have had it for a mere $7G's ... should have
    bought it![:(]
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    The 'C' prefix means it's an early production 1911. I almost bought C102
    last year - that production date was - as I recall - Ap. 1912. It was in
    pretty good shape and I could have had it for a mere $7G's ... should have
    bought it![:(]

The C is for commercial, non-government.