In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt O1091 Full length recoil spring rod ???

SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
In taking my Colt apart tonight, I forgot to take out the bushing spring plug first, and in moving the slide forward [after removing the slide stop], the spring came out like a Slinkyr.

Do you think the gun functions better with a full-length rod, or does it make no difference?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello this question has been debated from the time of the first full length rod was installed . IMHO I have seen them cause more problems then they cured. I have one match 45 with over 250,000 rounds and it ha s never had a full length rod.They are not legal in some DCM/CMP matches. The one thing for sure it makes taking the slide off more time consuming. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe if you fired a 1911 equipped with a full length rod and replaced it with the standard bushing there would be no difference in the function of that weapon. Having said that, why bother with the extra parts and disassembly steps. I've not found them to contribute to the better operation of a gun.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I am not sure one can argue accuracy (altough it's sold as that)since the lock up and bushing do most of that work. I use the full length due to the compression rate of the spring lasting longer and more even. If you look at the mechanics of the coil design and spring wire you will note the 1911 spring is designed to compress and release, not to bend. The bend "will" effect the life of the spring and the force as it ages.

I do not doubt that many shooter (some quite good such as "Perry")get many years of use without the full rod. The full length rod cannot hurt, it's just a discussion point as to if it helps. I deal with spring actuated products on a daily basis, it will help.
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pont taken. If I had disassembled it properly, it would not have come springing out from between the dustcover and the slide. I need to spend more time on the range, and get back into the swing of things. I'm trying, and am in the middle of a detail cleaning.