In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Green Mountain vs. Adams & Benett

XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Which is a better barrel? Green Mountain or Adams & Benett?

Comments

• Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of barrel are you looking to buy? If you are looking for a barrel for a long range rig that has extreem accuracy then you might be better off putting in more money for a better barrel. If you are looking for a plinking or casual hunting barrel then either should be up to your needs. For quite a while now Green Mountain has been know for there black powder barrels and currently are trying to make a name in the rimfire barrel market. I just ordered one of their 17hmr bull barrels from Brownells because of the good things I've been hearing and reading about them. In the past I've owned (3)A&B barrels all of which have since been sold off. The first was one of their F34 stainless in 25-06, it was a great barrel. A buddy made me an offer that I couldn't resist and I let it go. The second was a standard F34 in 25-05 which was ok, but not up to the expectations that I had. The last was a 6.5x55 in the F14 contour and it was awful. So my current take on A&B is that if you get a good one, you will like them, but there is no way to know. With better barrel makers if a barrel will not shoot well, they will generally exchange them for another. I don't know if A&B will do this or not.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    My only Current A+B barrel is still being worked on. It is a F14 in 7x57, and I am getting 2MOA or so. For a rifle that weighs about 7 pounds I am satisfied, but I still think it can do better. I only have 100 rounds down the tube, maybe it will smooth out some more, and more load work I can get 1".

GM makes great ML barrels, and is working into other markets. Many of which are No-name products(century's Yugo M70 barrels).

Given a choice, at the same price, I would buy a GM.
  • Options
    XLpitmanXLpitman Member Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, it's for a Ruger 10/22 that I'm building. (.22 LR)
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green Mountain
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go too www.rimfirecentral and ask the same question.great forum on rimfires and the 10/22.hope this helps
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I've built 10/22's with both of them, the most recent is a adams & benett barrel w/ a fajen thumbhole stock, both are nice and accurate and you won't go wrong with eather one
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    GM is providing barrels for the newest Century FN/FALs (R1A1), and I've read lots of good things about them and accuracy. Havent' shot mine yet though.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the A&B but if you want to spend some money buy the Volquartsen and they make it in CF.

PJ
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made up half a dozen custom mausers with A&B barrels and parts from Midway. They all shoot great. I think the barrels are fine. The problem is that because they are inexpensive, they are perfect material for bubba's who might not know what they are doing to build rifles. Proper headspacing of the short chambered barrels can make or break a gun in terms of accuracy
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bo Clarke in Raton, NM makes both of these and 90% of the other 10/22 barrels out there. All he does is to put different names on them.

Lance