In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much is my Sportsman 58 12 guage worth?

thebassmasterthebassmaster Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2006 in Ask the Experts
Ok i also got this sportsman 58 12 guage from my grandpa the day i got the 20 guage i mentioned in my other post. But this one is real special because it belonged to my great grandfather who was shot and killed. I could never sell it but i was just curious to how much its worth..I'm pretty sure its the skeet model because it has the engraving of the 2 ducks and the dog on the side. The Serial number is 150786v Could anyone tell me exactly what it is from the serial number and maybe what its worth?

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if its a skeet, it will have a 26" barrel, vent rib, and marked skeet on the barrel. 58 skeets guns will bring in about 350 to 400 retail if in good shape.
    58's had a fatal flaw. they cracked on the receiver in the area of the bolt lock back groove. check yours. basically, your 58 was the precurser to the 1100 and 878 around 1961. the 58 was one of the first gas operated 20ga semi autos. hi standard being the first.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bassmaster, all 58 sportsman models had the bird and dog scenes on the side of the guns , but ive been working on guns for 25 years and have never heard of cracks in the reciever on any 58's. so if i was you i would disregaurd that comment. but depending on condition from $150 to $350, thanks
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    look on the right side of a 58 and tell me if there is a slit cut into the existing bolt handle groove. that was the modification to keep them from cracking. no slit? not modified. its why they invented the 1100, to eliminate the problem.
    you worked on them for 25 years, i shot em. they crack. ever wonder why they are so cheap on the market?[;)]
    regards....
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.