In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any way to estimate the power of a scope?

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in Ask the Experts
Recently I bought a rifle with a scope onit which was rathewr old. It is fixed power. There are no markings on the scope. Is there any way to estime the power?

Comments

• Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have any other scopes to compare it too?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only way I can think of is to use a variable side by side with it, but focused on a yard stick or other object of known height. Adjust the variable until the images are identical. That should give you a pretty close estimate.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    With a known size target at 100 yards does it look 2X closer, 4X closer etc; [:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jptatum,

The first method is to see if there is a manufacturer name stamped on the scope and see if there is a website and a description of the scope.

If no information there I'll expound on what algore said. If you have a range where you can measure something via the scope. Take a 4 ft. board, or any given size. At this point the easiest thing to do would be to compare scopes if you have another one available. If not find a 1" piece of pipe(ID) or something about 6-8". a paper towel or tp cardboard may work if you could cut a hole the same size as your scope tube. Compare how much of the tube is filled with the size of the board. It is highly inaccurate but will give an idea. -good luck
  • Options
    Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the field of view at 100 yds. Sight the scope at a 100yd fixed object (or set some sticks in the ground at 100 yds spaced 2 feet or so apart). Note what the width of the image is, then look up the field of view of typical scopes and note which power is closest to your scope's.

Not perfect, but close, and you only need one scope (yours)

[:)]