In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pull/Creep

linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Trying to find out the difference between trigger pull and trigger creep. I think pull is the amount of effort and creep is the travel. But I am not sure.
Any Help is appreciated

Thanks linthicum

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    linthicum,

Simply put, the 3 terms most associated with trigger adjustments are:

weight of pull - the amount of force needed to break the sear, measured in ounces and pounds.

creep (take up) - the distance the trigger lever travels before the break.

overtravel - the distance the trigger lever travels after the break.

Best.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder of we should seperate take-up from creep? I have at least one gun that the trigger moves very easily for a fair bit before the resistance builds then creeps a bit and breaks. I think this is called a two stage trigger.

Tim
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The army teaches, or did when I was involved, that the easy movement of the trigger before resistance is felt is called slack. Creep is the undesireable movement that is felt on a poorly adjusted trigger when final pressure is applied to the trigger. A well adjusted trigger will be crisp. Meaning that no movement will be felt when the final pressure is applied to the trigger.
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let's not forget over travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You Experts
    Once again, I feel I got a good education on the subject for the question at hand.
    Thanks For Sharing Your Knowledge With Me.
    linthicum
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    linthicum,

I was looking for a particular drawing to use an illustration which I didn't find so this one will have to suffice.

I wanted to keep this relatively simple but I'll break the first part of the trigger movement into 2 parts:

Take up - the first movement of the trigger lever prior to encountering resistance with the sear notch.

Creep - see below.

If you look at the circular image in the upper left of the illustration (marked 'Pre') you'll recognize where the trigger lever sits in the sear notch. When referencing the term creep, we are really describing the length of the sear notch that the trigger lever has to travel before the sear breaks or releases.

Trigger_RugerM77-copy.jpg

There is always some physical movement of the lever in the notch so creep always exists but we can minimize it by reducing the physical length of the notch, the angle of the lever and by polishing the contact surfaces.

Weight of pull gets complicated by a couple of other factors, one of which is the angle of the trigger lever in the sear notch. The illustration shows an sharp angle on the lever which is referred to as a positive angle. The more positive the angle on the lever, the harder it is to release the sear. The more neutral, the easier it is to release the sear. However, this is where you get into a portion of the safety factors with regard to triggers so any adjustments in the area should be performed by a gunsmith. In fact, unless you are intimately familiar with triggers and their adjustments, all of this work should be left to a gunsmith.

I have this whole process broken down into each 0.001" of movement and all of the measurements at each of those points based on 'weight of pull' but that gets a little too involved for most of us. If any of the above doesn't make sense, post another question, please.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks nononsence:
    That explains it perfect to me. The reason for my question; I just bought a 22lr rifle that has a two adjustment trigger pull and creep. It is my first firearm with an adjustable trigger, so I wanted to know what I was getting into. Needless to say I shot the rifle today and man was it sweet. The trigger had a little movement then with the slightest pressure bam she fired. I like it and am not touching a thing. Guess I should have shot it first before asking question. But I will take all the knowledge I can get. Once Again Thank for sharing yours with me.
    linthicum