In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

is it my model 12 or is it me?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
im not boasting, so dont think i am, but i tend to pump my model 12 skeet 20ga pretty fast. so fast matter of fact, that i can eject the first shot while there is still flame in the bbl and it comes out the breech.
gun was pretty hot when it happened. i was on my 10th box of factory federal skeet loads. i had shot doubles on station 4 for 2 straight games w/o anyone else shooting. so thats 50 shots in less than 15 minutes. the gun was real hot.
now, tell me its impossible so i can fix whatever's causing this.
the bolt goes into lock up just fine. the bolt rises up when fired just fine. the bolt/slide release does not let go until the f.a. is pushed forward a hair the way its suppose to.
the bolt isnt flying back when fired.
the slide button isnt stuck pushed in.
all seems right.
any ideas what it could be?
im a lefty, so you can imagine my nose and face is a little chard when it happens.
when shooting regular rounds, it doesnt happen...only on quick doubles.
all inputs are welcome.
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK... stop trying to shoot it so damn fast[:D]. As good as the Winchester Model 12 is, it was never designed to fire like a freaking Machine Gun[:0][8D].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D]

has anyone else ever had this experience before?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    prob just need to pump it faster[:I]
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful...guns are nothin' to treat lightly!!! You could put your eye out!!!Ask someone at the range that knows what they're doin' to give you some pointers...Most of us that have been around guns for quite awhile are more than glad to help a beginner...[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    geeesh...[:(]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,974 ******
    edited November -1
    "Winchester Model 12 is, it was never designed to fire like a freaking Machine Gun"... well, yes it actualy was. pull the trigger and keep pump'n, it'll keep fire'n. as to the flame in front of your nose, this is a powder/temp. issue (i've seen this more than once, usualy with the slower shotgun powders). either pump slower or try a faster powder.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob, as another "lefty", I think it happened because your face was near the ejection port. Most right handed shooter would never notice.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple solution;
    Shoot right handed [:D].

Possible cause; ignition of residual unburned powder from previous shots being heated to almost ignition by the speed of firing; then you doing the John Wayne thing with the speed pump might have had enough hot powder in the just-fired case to ignite the other powder in the action giving your nose a hot air hair removal treatment?????

Just hose it out with CLP everytime it get hot enough to fry eggs on.???

Those are my guesses, helpful hints and BS for the day. GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mike says, that's entirely normal for the model 12.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    finally, scientific answers![:D]
    wonder what factory powder goes in factory federals?
    the way i see it is, action/reaction takes place as the hull is fired. the gun technically begins its backwards travel while the shell is in the chamber while shot is still moving forward. thus, the f.a. bolt release CAN click, allowing the remaining pressure to blow back the bolt 'backfire' into the breech. it appears if youre holding the f.a. light in anticipation to pump fast, you can let it go too soon and the gas will blow it back for you.
    if the gun is shot normal, no problems at all. its just when you speed fire doubles w/ a 12.
    (a skeet game designed to sharpen reactions) calls for a shooter to hit both birds w/o changing direction of the muzzle. that means if you shoot a station 2 high, you have to swing right, hit it, pump it, and fire again before the low house bird gets to mid field.

this is when the M12 acted up. any other gun is no problem, just the 12.
    normally its bang......bang!
    that doubles game is more like, ba-BANG!

try it some time!
    thanks to all!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.