In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Machine Gun Ammo.

wallace20wallace20 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I recently found some machine gun ammo in metal links at a gunshop near me,that I was thinking about buying.Wondering how hard it would be to take out of the links,and how to go about doing this.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on what KIND of ammo it is, & what CALIBER.

But, most MG links can be removed easily with a light hammer & a screwdriver.

And, a lot of USGI MG ammo has tracers every 5th round. If it has this, then you either throw away the tracers or break them down & keep only the brass.

Neal
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've disassembled a couple of belts simply by pushing the bullet nose into a piece of wood (hold onto the nest few rounds). Never tried using a hammer and a pry bar (there are people that pay for just the links)
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have delinked MG ammo using the push against wood method. It works great and you can control the amount of pressure being exerted.

If the ammo has tracers mixed in, it can be sold here on GB. There are folks who will buy it for collecting or shooting.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    There is a hand cranked machine that you can buy that will delink a specific kind of ammo (same machine, diff. versions for different stuff)

Also, ammo meant for MGs may (or may not... semi urban legend) have harder primers than "normal" milsurp which are typically harder than commercial ammo.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTH are you taliking about "light hammer" that is the worst advice you could give. most likely 1919 or m-60 links, should be able to delink by hand or glove, maybe pull on round with pliers if really stuck, but NOT necessary
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I wasn't clear enough. I meant that tools could be used on the LINKS, not the rounds.

Neal
  • Options
    wallace20wallace20 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks again everyone.Going to go get it now.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    30-06? back the ammo out of the links. (Browning .30, etc)
    .223/7.62 NATO? Push rounds forward out of the links. (SAW/M60)
    Eastern Bloc/WWII German? Back them out of the links.

Fabric belt (unlikely) Back them out of the belt.

Rgds, Joe
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    Also, ammo meant for MGs may (or may not... semi urban legend) have harder primers than "normal" milsurp which are typically harder than commercial ammo.

This is not true of American rifle caliber loadings nor those of most nations where the ammunition was used for both shoulder arms and MG applications. There are some late war German 7.92x57 restricted to MG use for this reason (steel primer cups, IIRC) and it could very well be true of some proportion of post-war Soviet / Warsaw Pact 7.62x54R which was almost exclusively produced for MG use. This latter is purely supposition on my part.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast - hence my "urban legend" reference....