In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope for 454

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I would like to hear from those of you who shoot "hard kicking" handguns with scopes. What brand is holding up for you?

My FA 454 had not been fired in 5-6 yrs. Shot it twice yesterday. After the second shot, the Burris 2X was dark & the crosshairs were at a 45 degree angle. When you shake it, it sounds like a baby rattle. This combination had quite a few rounds through it several years ago, but I had not had the need to shoot it in a while. Yesterday, it cratered.

Back when, Leupold did not have a good reputation. TC scopes were tough, but the eye relief was sensitive. B&L was my choice for the 41 & lesser, but I was never comfortable that they would hold up on the 454. I am in the market for a new one, but I need one that will hold together. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    In the hand cannon loving game of metallic silhouette you will usually find a Burris or a Leupold being used. I understand that you did have problems with your little 2x Burris, but please understand that there have been many new and exciting advancements in the world of handgun optics. Give them both a look and see what works bet for you.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/handgun.html

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/handgun-scopes/
  • Options
    laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only scope I use now on handguns is Leupold. A 2X on my FA 454, 2X on FA 50AE, 2.5X8 on S&W 500 and 4X on FA 357... never had a problem. I've had problems with other brands.

Jim
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have about 15 T/C handgun barrels - I know, that makes me a mere freshman to the hardcore - and some of the heavier recoiling are 45/70, 375 JDJ, 375 H & H, 405 Win & 416 Rigby. The T/Cs hold up very well and I've never had a failure with a Weaver fixed or their 2 to 8 power.

Something to take into consideration is tube flex. Scopes carry weight at their front & rear & when the gun recoils the longer tubes can flex. I have a Burris 10X that's long as heck, works great on an XP100 in 223, but I'd never put it on anything heavy. Shorter tubes are stiffer and that's an advantage on big guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think I am going to try a leupold 2X. That is enough magnificaton for my needs & I am of the opinion that the fixed ones may be less prone to problems. As I was surfing yesterday on this subject, I came across comments from J D Jones from 3 or 4 yrs ago. He suggested the Leupold, B&L (now Bushnell Elite) or the good old Simmons (not made any longer).

Since the Elite is only available in variable (I love them on the 41 and others), I have decided to try Leupold. Ten years ago within our small shooting group, the Leupolds were having problems. Hopefully, now they are better, or maybe we simply had a run of bad luck with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more question for you FA fans. Which mount do you use? I have both the Lovett (I think that is correct name) sold by FA and the TSOB on different FA revolvers. The 454 has the Lovett. Wonder if I should change it to a TSOB? Obviously, the TSOB is a stiffer mount.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    skyhigh_sellerskyhigh_seller Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be sure to send that scope back to Burris. It will come back looking like new at no cost to you. They are good about their warranty.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have the old 21/2 X 7 Burris's on most of my heavy kickers and new Burris 3x12's on the rest of them and nothing rattles yet....... Send your scope back and keep using it.......
  • Options
    laytonj1laytonj1 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never tried the Lovell mount but it's one piece and sold by Freedom Arms so I would assume it's strong. All I've used on my FA's is the TSOB mounts because you can use more then 2 rings with them.

Jim
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 10" FA, in .454 with a Leupold 2X..Shot it that way for years..No problems....
    JIM.........
    PS. I also use the 3-ring T'SOB mount..
    J....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your thoughts. Sending the Burris back to them. Also buying the Leupold. Think I will leave the Lovett mount alone. I really enjoy the looks of it. This is the first scope problem I have had with the FA revolvers. Obviously, anything can break.