In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Neuman Leigh side by side

redLredL Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a side by side passed down to me that I can find no info on. Beautiful old shotgun that was either my grandfather's or great-grandfather's. It reads "Neuman Leigh side by side made specially for Silver and Company San Francisco." So far google has not helped.

Comments

• Options
    redLredL Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redL
    I have a side by side passed down to me that I can find no info on. Beautiful old shotgun that was either my grandfather's or great-grandfather's. It reads "Neuman Leigh side by side made specially for Silver and Company San Francisco." So far google has not helped.

Sorry -- it reads "Neumann c Leige Belgium."
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Red -

The information I'm about to share is neither good, nor bad. Neuman was a prolific maker of firearms and your gun most probably dates from anywhere around 1890 up to 1914.

The "Silver & Co." imprint identifies your gun as a trade item. While Neuman (I believe actually Peiffer, but my memory is rapidly fading) made some guns of rather good quality, the majority of trade guns were of a utility grade. Not by any means high quality even though they looked pretty good.

Value as a trade gun will be rather low on the general market. Value for family history is incalculable.

No matter... A neat old piece worthy of being kept in the family.