In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

commercial M-1 carbines

elmer schwingenelmer schwingen Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Why is it that I think (not know) that Alpines are better than Universals. I have several military as well as Alpines and Universals and I think (again don't really know) that the Alpines contain more surplus military parts (trigger housings rtc.). Were the Alpines manufactured in Calf. in the 50's and 60's. Any thoughts/comments?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much is known about them, other then a unknown number were put together in Cali, circa early/mid 60's. Mostly G I parts except the receivers, which were investment castings.

I can't swear to it, BUT I believe "ALPINE" was one of the Trade Names used by Golden State Arms on some of the firearms they sold. G S A was a very large S. Calif importer/distributor of mostly surplus/reworked military firearms, circa mid 50's/mid 60's.

You might try to GOOGLE "alpine carbines" or something similar, to see if you can find any more definitive information on the Net.