In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Civil war Remington revolver

john orrjohn orr Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I purchased a model of a Remington 1868 that was completely frozen up. I am using WD 40 and soaking it, it is working real slow. Upon some of the rust being soaked off, much to my dismay, I found underneath the barrel loader, "made in Italy black powder only" it does have a ser# under the grips. In Civil war days, some other Companys produced these exactly to the Rem. specks. I am asking you if it is possible that Italy could have been one of them. It is old, and came in a fitting holster with the US stamp on the flap. Brass frame, steel barrel & clyinder, case hardened hammer. HELP PLEASE.Thank you, John

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it isn't possible.

Since smokeless powder wasn't developed until 1884, it would never have occurred to a Civil War era gun maker to mark his product "black powder only".

"Old", in this case, probably means 40 years old.

Neal
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    It probably say 1858.
    What you have is a modern Italian import black powder revolver. These used to sell for about $100. for many years. They were generally of decent quality, if in good condition.
    It's probably not worth the effort to try to repair if in as bad of condition as you describe. And due to condition, I'd be very wary of firing it if you did get it working.
    You can probably buy a new one for around $200. And a used one in good firing condition for less.
    See Gunbroker Auction #72804970
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Like the Man said...Its an Italian Made Reproduction of the 1858 Remington New Model Army...As discribed...a $50.00 Wall Hanger...
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Yep, a modern replica with no collector value. $50 is top value in the condition you described and possibly less. I sincerely hope you didn't buy it as an original.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen several examples of modern BP revolvers in the condition you describe. I think sometimes the idea is to purposely cause corrosion so that the lesser informed gun buyer assumes the firearm is an antique. The last corroded replica I saw for sale was in Atlanta. The seller made no representation as to the age of the revolver but * it out of my hand as I tried to remove some of the rust for a closer look. I was 99.9% sure it was an Italian replica. I hope you did,nt pay a bunch for this thinking you found a diamond in the rough.