In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pros and cons of 9mm target reloads

nasc39nasc39 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
My wife and I are new gun owners and love to target shoot but it can get quit exspensive. there is a repitable gunsmith that supplies our local range with reloads but I have heard that they can be dangerous to both gun and person. We both have 9mm pistols and want to know if reloads are safe
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on who is doing the reloading. I've been shooting nothing but handloads through my three 9mm's for at least ten years without any problem. On European guns that are designed for hot 9mm loads most any reasonable load within the limits of most reloading manuals is safe. Same is true for Ruger guns but you may want to put in stronger recoil springs if you shoot a lot of hot handloads. Case length and bullet depth are also critical but if you do it right, handloads/reloads can be even better than factor ammo. Good handloads/reloads can be fabulous; bad handloads/reloads can be disasterous. Personally, I don't shoot anyone else's reloads. With my own, I know what I'm getting.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't shoot lead in Glocks with factory Polygonal rifled barrels.

Other than that if reloading and shooting reloaded ammo was not safe I would be dead 35 years and over 200,000 rounds ago.

Now get some real target guns; a good .22 and a 1911 type .45 and really get hooked.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx for input and I am already looking for a 1911 any sugestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanx Rawhide that is about the sugestions I have gotten from others
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are as good as the reputation of the loader.
    most factories actually market reloads and they work just fine.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nasc39
    Thanx for input and I am already looking for a 1911 any sugestions?

Springfield or Taurus give probably the most bang for the buck if you are doing target shooting.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    No problems with 9mm reloads. Get into it yourself or get them from a reputable remanufactured ammo company or what not and you'll be fine.

I reload and cast my own lead bullets. This keeps costs down to about $2.50 per 50 or $4.50 with jacketed bullets, last I did the math.
  • Options
    bangbangusabangbangusa Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading for 30 years, and if you get the right load, ANY caliber is good. I have fire many of my reloads through machineguns, pistol, rifles, and have had little or no problems. The only way to no spend a fortune IS to reload for your shooting pleasure.[:D]
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    alot of people say dont shoot lead in autos. depends on who is doing the loadin you might encounter more jams, and probably a little inconsistency in loads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    alot of people say dont shoot lead in autos. depends on who is doing the loadin you might encounter more jams, and probably a little inconsistency in loads.

Lead bullets in auto's is not an issue, never has been. The rifling used in the Glock barrel does not engrave the bullet as much as it forms the bullet. It is supposed to increase MV with the hard jacketed bullets. Since it does not cut into a bullet to impart spin the lead smears down the barrel not getting much spin. Accuracy is horrible and the leading Will reach a point that if a jacketed bullet is fired the gun could go BOOM. The bore is essentially reduced in caliber from so much lead. Over pressure and blown up guns are common. It ALMOST happened to me with my Glock 21. I got a cut rifling barrel about 10,000 rounds ago and seldom shoot anything but my own cast lead bullets.