In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trigger adjustment

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
On a Wilson Combat Compatition Match Trigger which direction do I turn the adjuster to lighten the trigger pull?

Comments

• RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you can lighten the pull; at least not by turning that screw. Should be an overtravel screw in the face of the trigger. Turning it clockwise will reduce overtravel (and will eventually prohibit firing), and turning it counter clockwise will increase the overtravel after let off.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    +1 on RCrosby. The screw on the trigger is to adjust over-travel only. The only way to adjust weight of pull on a 1911 type pistol is to remove the mainspring housing and then "FORM" the 3 leaf spring. Unless you do like I do on my match pistols .I drill and tap a small hole on the left side of the mainspring housing ,install a long small set screw that bears against the leftmost leaf of the 3 leaf spring and I use this to adjust the trigger pull + or - 1/2 pound .Note this is NOT legal in CMP matches. "PRAISE THE HARD BALL GUN"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.

This trigger is new to me and I thought that this would adjust the stiffness of the trigger.

Since putting it on the trigger is a little stiffer and I wanted to ease it up a bit.

I will shoot it some more to see if it helps any as I was told that it would ease up some after about 100 rounds or so.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Nothing helps as much as having a qualified gunsmith work on it. The fastest way I improve the trigger pull on a 1911 is to replace the 3 finger sear spring with a 4 finger Clark spring and replace the main spring with a 19#. I find that will usually reduce it by about a 1/2 #. A lot depends on what you want to use the pistol for. I don't usually set up a carry 1911 below 4#. For target use, I like them around 3#. If you don't know how to adjust the overtravel, get someone who does as you can easily adjust it where it will not function at all.