In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bests 9 mm home defense round

utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a Kahr CW9 for concealed carry and would like to know the best self defense round. Please don't tell me I should have bought a .40SW (or .45) instead. My wife will use this gun as well and a .40 would probably have been too much for her.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 9mm. I carry a 9mm or 45 usually. I use Federal HydraShok in the 124g in 9mm. Hydrashok is a well proven bullet. If you have family in other rooms you may want to look at frangable rounds like the Glaser safety slugs as they won't penetrate walls. There are several other hollow point brands that are pretty good but I think the HydraShok is the way to go.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hydrashoks
    Gold Dots
    Golden Sabres
    SXT's

All are great defense bullets, go with 115 or 124gr weights, the 124 being my choice in my 9mm.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal 9BP 115 Gr. JHP. Very low flash, accurate and a long proven track record.
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100 Grn. +P Powerball ammo....has a polymer ball that gets pushed back into the hollow point and expands it better, and has a velocity of 1400 FPS
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends.

What type area do you live? Apartments? Town houses? Single family houses on small lots? No neighbor for 1 mile?

Neal
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beer gut
    Hornady TAP

Hornady TAP FPD rounds have an extremely low flash, one of the reasons I use them. Loss of vision, even momentarily, is a bad thing.
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    It depends. What type area do you live? Apartments? Town houses? Single family houses on small lots? No neighbor for 1 mile?

Neal

Single family - suburbia. I was interested in the frangable bullets and wonder how effective they are on human targets. Are they as effective as a JHP?
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    The glasers are very effective, but pricey. And since you've got a semi auto, you'll want to run a few mags thru it at least to ensure that they will feed/function.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I like to stick with what the police departments use if I can. This is a defensable position to use in court if you every had to shoot to protect yourself.

Stay away from "cowboy loads", reloads and other non-mainstream loads. Hydra-shok is a good load and others recommended by your favorite gun shop. Cor-bon loads are hot and popular.

I like Winchester Silvertips just because they seem to feed well and are quite accurate.