In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

a couple shipping questions, please

jeffrosgunsjeffrosguns Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
[?]
1) can I, as a non-FFL holder ship a Thompson contender frame to a dealer, or must I have a local dealer ship it to the buyer's dealer?
2) What's with the sticker (I just noticed it, honest) that says its not for sale in the states of MD, NY & the commonwealth of MA? If I ship it to a dealer in NY, is the buyer going to not be able to buy it & then what-I had no idea that a contender could be such a bone of contention & any light y'all may be able to shed on this situation would be greatly appreciated, and the sooner, the better
Jeff

Comments

• nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am no lawyer, but it is my understanding that you can ship a firearm (no handguns) to an FFL dealer even though you do not have a dealers licence. I would get a ink signed copy of their licence before shipping.
    Abort Cuomo
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    You can ship a handgun (or handgun frame) to a FFL holder, however you must use UPS or FedEx and they require you to ship it overnight air, therefore it is very expensive. A FFL holder can ship via USPS so it usually costs less to have them ship it for you.
    As for the sticker about MD, NY and MA, the libs in those states have determined which guns are legal to own in their states! I know for sure that MD requires a spent cartridge (from that gun) to be shipped with it from the manufacturer. If the manufacturer does not supply one, then it is not legal to sell in MD.
    If I were you I would not sell to anyone in those states.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not transferring your gun to someone in another state; you are transferring it to an FFL, which any nonlicensee (such as yourself) can do.

It's the responsibility of the buyer to know the law in his own state/locality; you will be shipping the gun to an FFL, who can only deliver the gun to the buyer IF it is legal there. Your involvement ends when you ship the gun to the dealer; if the buyer can't take delivery, it's up to him & his dealer to figure out what to do with the gun. You may choose to accept the return of the gun, but on your terms.

Neal
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HandgunHTR52, you are wrong about NY telling people what guns they can own. TC does not come with a spent casing but can be shipped to NY. If used it does not need a casing, if new it can be shipped but before being sold it must be test fired at a NY COBIS site
  • md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is a "used gun" i.e. if you bought it from a dealer new or from an individual used. it can be sold in Maryland by a dealer or private individual. The fired case law only applies to new guns.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not exactly.

To be sold in Maryland, a handgun:

1. Must be approved by the MD Handgun Roster Board.
    2. Must have a fired shell casing if made > 1/1/02.
    3. Must have a MD approved integral locking system & key if made > 12/31/03.

It would be ridiculous to expect a nonlicensee in any other state, or, for that matter, even an FFL in another state, to know all these details, especially since there are exceptions & interpretations. THAT is why only the BUYER needs to know about his state/local laws.

Neal
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XP100
    HandgunHTR52, you are wrong about NY telling people what guns they can own. TC does not come with a spent casing but can be shipped to NY. If used it does not need a casing, if new it can be shipped but before being sold it must be test fired at a NY COBIS site

As I stated in the e-mail to you, if someone wants to sell a handgun in NY you have to have a fired case on file in the NY COBIS database. If the gun was not shipped with one, the FFL would have to take the handgun to a lab and have it test fired. Therefore increasing the cost to the buyer as I am assuming that this is not a free service that the State of NY offers out of the goodness of their hearts. In the case of a Contender, since it has two firing pins you would have to provide two spent casings (a centerfire and a rimfire). Also, it has the capability to fire many different centerfire cartridges so would you have to provide just one (since it will have the firing pin impression) or many? Also, since we are just talking about a frame here, who would be responsible for providing said barrels to the lab? Do they have a few laying around?
    So, I think you get my point that they have made the laws restrictive enough to make it prohibitive to own certain firearms, therefore the libs are making laws which prevent (or make it very hard for) the law-abiding citizens to buy (therefore own) those firearms. This is, IMHO, a violation of our basic freedoms.
    As for Maryland, I would assume that the frame was made after 2002 and was not shipped with spent casings. That is why it has the big sticker on the box that says "Not for sale in MD, NY & the Commie-wealth of MA" (see the original post).
    jeffrosguns - I would take my original advice and not sell to anyone in those states. It will save you and them a lot of hassle down the road.
    edited November -1
    Used guns do not need a fired casing. NY test fires a new gun for FREE. I just have to make an appointment take 2 rounds of factory ammo with NO exposed lead and get them testfired. I sell new TC Encore frames without a barrel. No barrel, no fired casing.
  • Old FoolOld Fool Member Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The short answer is to never sell any firearm to anyone in MD. CA, NY or MA. It is simply not worth the hassle and potential legal problems. When they elect some sane politicians and change their ridiculous laws then we can do business with them.
    edited November -1
    What hassle and legal problems are you refering to selling to and shipping to a NY Dealer? I would like to know.