In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tear gas projectile

gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I found this item in a box of WWII 9 MM ammo. It is 1.25 inches long and .434 inch in diameter. The words tear gas is stamped on the side. It also has a primer in the end and a white substance in the hollow nose. Any idea what weapon this would fit into with the threads near the base.
[img][/img]teargas003.jpg
[img][/img]teargas002.jpg

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Round for a pocket sized "Tear gas projector" Cartridge screws onto end of cylindrical weapons, spring loaded striker hit primer, firing cartridge. Pre-mace personal defense item.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the previous poster. Most likely dates to the late 60's/70's time frame. This was when the feds changed the law, that prohibited tear gas being loaded in conventional handgun type cartridges.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Round for a pocket sized "Tear gas projector" Cartridge screws onto end of cylindrical weapons, spring loaded striker hit primer, firing cartridge. Pre-mace personal defense item.
    +1... fits just like a pen in your top pocket...
  • Options
    hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 they fit into a pen type device with a pull back bolt type cocking lever. They also made flares for these and, if I remember correctly, they had a red tip covering the projectile. ghs
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's for a Pengun by Penguin Associates, Malvern Pa 1965.
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like 11b6r says,it's for a pengun. Looks some what like a pen with a pocket clip and had a very crude firing mechanism. An idiot in my colledge dormitory had one that he kept in a desk drawer cocked. He closed the drawer while sitting at his desk and it went off. Did a great job of clearing out the rooms in the general area including mine!
  • Options
    md1634md1634 Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, "like V35 said...."
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    It's for a Pengun by Penguin Associates, Malvern Pa 1965.
    if i can figure out how to download on this site i'll take a pic for the thread...
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot for all your inputs. The friend who gave me the old 9 MM ammo remembers now that he had one of the penguns but forgot what the projectiles looked like. I wonder if they are still legal to have/carry.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Legality of possession or carry of the pengun- should not be a problem. But the cartridge, well, depends on your state. Some places ban, restrict, limit tear gas. Guess the govt does not like competition....