In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

controlled fed ruger 77

watoshiwatoshi Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
iv herd that some ruger 77 mk are control feed while others are not..all the while they all have mauser type extractors.. whats this all about..im hope someone can help me out here..thks

Comments

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First mod. 77s and 77 MKIIs were push feed. the later MKIIs are controled round feed. I don't know when the change was made on the MKIIs.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the m-77's are all push feed (still have a mauser type extractor), the m-77 mk2's are all c.r.f. (at least I've never seen a push feed mk2).
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum~

In a controlled round feed ,the cartridge is captured between the boltface and the extractor hook as it leaves the magazine.The extractor hook holds the cartridge from mag. to chamber.This prevents a double feed ,or jam, due to short-stroking the bolt travel.

The first 77's ,pushed the cartridge ahead of the bolt, and only when the round was chambered and the bolt turned down,did the extractor engage the groove.Both had the favored extraction power of the Mauser.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi. I used to own a push feed 77 mkII. The first ones could be converted to controled round feed, which I did. They would push the round into the chamber ahead of the extractor, and the extractor would than ride over the cartridge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thks fellas-geri..wot did you du to convert? thks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi. Open up the bottom of the bolt face to allow the cartridge to slide up under the extractor. Same as the newer MKIIs. I did this because the rifle woould not always feed the last round reliably. It would jam the shell into the end of the barrel breach.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    geri,
    thanks again my friend,art