In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Year of manufacture, Browning

LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
I just picked up a Browning Sweetsixteen and need year of production. Serial number is 3S over 4019. Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to info in Blue Book of Gun Values 3S indicates 1963 manufacture.
  • rock,roll,n,loadrock,roll,n,load Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=231184

FYI for your future referance courtesy of Bert H.
  • LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herschel, Can I ask how did you determine this date? There are two auctions on GB #72881062 & #72881431 mine looks more like the second with the engraving on the reciever, but the serial number is imprinted totally different. It looks more like this....

3S

Also any area dealer told me the difference was because it came from the factory with a poly choke. Now that said I have been through several books but can not find any thing about these guns coming with poly chokes but after calling the the owner he said he bought this gun new with the poly on it. Also he tells me he bought it in the 50's.
    Thank you for your help.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LSandBinc
    Herschel, Can I ask how did you determine this date? There are two auctions on GB #72881062 & #72881431 mine looks more like the second with the engraving on the reciever, but the serial number is imprinted totally different. It looks more like this....

3S

Also any area dealer told me the difference was because it came from the factory with a poly choke. Now that said I have been through several books but can not find any thing about these guns coming with poly chokes but after calling the the owner he said he bought this gun new with the poly on it. Also he tells me he bought it in the 50's.
    Thank you for your help.

The "3" tells us that it was manufactured in 1963. The "S" tells us that it is a Sweet Sixteen. The 4019 tells us that it was the 4,019th Sweet Sixteen manufactured in the year 1963.

The owner is full of horse manure[xx(], and is trying to sell you a load of the same[V][xx(][V].

Here is a web link that will give you the details of how to determine Browning A5 DOMs - http://www.browning.com/services/dategun/detail.asp?id=13
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    A-5's COULD be special ordered with FACTORY installed
    Poly-Chokes.
    Some were FN (Herstal, Belgium) installed, some Browning (Arnold, MO) installed.
    Separate codes on them denotes who installed same.
    As do the codes on other factories who installed them on their guns,ie. Remington, Savage, etc. This was a quality control check also.
    This was not the case with "gunsmith" installed chokes. (NO CODE #)