In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

winchester 1892 magazine jam

BSCBSC Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2007 in Ask the Experts
so i loaded 11 rds into the magzine of my newley acquired winchester 1892, .44-40, circa 1913. The follower gets stuck and i have to gravity feed them thru the magazine. No problem with less than 11.

Removing the magazine plug and spring, the follower doesnt fall out, just stops near the magazine band. I can't get it to come out. Obviously something is hanging it up (the tube is clean and the follower falls freely when tapped with a rod lightly)

Four questions:
1. how common is this ?
2. is 11 rds over the maximum?
3.how do i resolve it?
4. how much trouble can i run into taking the forearm off, drifting out the magazine hanger band, and removing the magazine tube to check it out?
thanks.

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a Carbine or a Sporting Rifle? If it is a Carbine, the magazine was designed to hold a maximum of (11) cartridges.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "drifting out the magazine hanger band,"... MORE WINNIES HAVE BEEN SCREWED UP DOING THIS THAN I LIKE TO THINK ABOUT. THE MAGAZINE BAND IS A ROTARY DOVE TAIL, IT TWISTS OUT. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY HAVE A DENT IN THE MAGAZINE TUBE.
  • BSCBSC Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    its the 24" barrel rifle

Rotory dove tail?? I dont even know what that means.
    lemme find a local gunsmith.

thanks guys
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BSC
    its the 24" barrel rifle

thanks guys

A 24-inch barrel means that it is a Sporting Rifle, and that it should hold (13) cartridges in the magazine tube. Mike is dead on concerning the magzine tube retaining ring... it is a rotary cut, and to remove the ring, you first need to remove the tube, then turn the mag ring 90 degrees. I also agree that you most likely have a dent in the tube.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    its the 24" barrel rifle

thanks guys

A 24-inch barrel means that it is a Sporting Rifle, and that it should hold (13) cartridges in the magazine tube. Mike is dead on concerning the magzine tube retaining ring... it is a rotary cut, and to remove the ring, you first need to remove the tube, then turn the mag ring 90 degrees. I also agree that you most likely have a dent in the tube.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    I'm gonna leave this to an expert to fix.
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    I'm gonna leave this to an expert to fix.

When in doubt, that is a very good choice[^]