In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WInchester Model 70 Classic Sporter 7mm STW

style1977style1977 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me when this rifle was made, how much its worth, and why I can't find any information on it? I bought it for $600 bucks earlier this year b/c of its caliber and now I have a few people who tell me that I should store it and not shoot it. What's the deal?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    style1977,

I'm not trying to push anyone out of the way but with Bert still underwater, you might want to contact only winchesters to see if he can lend a hand:

http://forums.forthehunt.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=16524

Best.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will also refer you to BertH., as he is the absolute best, and has, or has access to way more referrence on Winchester than the next best 10 Winchester experts do, combined.

I will give you some insight though;

If it is a Classic Sporter LT with a walnut stock, you got a decent deal. If it is a Classic/Custom Sporting Sharpshooter I/II, with a McMillan Stock you got a GREAT deal.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the question you need to answer is did you buy it as an investment or to shoot it? If your answer is to shoot it, but find that it is a real rare bird, then you might want to consider other options. Like getting another barrel from someone like Numrich. About a year back I picked up from them a new M70 Classic 26" stainless 7mmRemMag barrel from them for $50, which is still around here somewhere. Even if prices have doubled it is still cost effective to have a smith pull the original barrel and replace it with a shooter grade rechambered for 7mmSTW. Day comes you want to sell, swap the barrel back. All you have to do is take real good care of the rest while shooting....
  • Options
    style1977style1977 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]If I had any money right now I would be houndin' you like a drunk virgin on prom night for that rifle[}:)] Definately Keep it, and I would shoot it too. Heck, it is a nice round. However I agree ern98 on swapping out the barrel if you are going to shoot it, cause the big down side to a STW is barrel life.