In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady's Heavy Mag

DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hornady has a 300Win Mag load for a 180gr pushed at 3100fps!

That is like 300 weatherby performance out of the winmag.

They say they can do this without using more powder or exceeding the Pressuses for the caliber.

HOW? Is there some Magic formula that only Hornady has?

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am pretty sure it is in the type of powder they are using. I however have not found anyone that can tell me what powder(s) they are using!
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded some 180's in 300 Win Mag that chronographed 3150 fps using Re 25 powder from a 26" barrel. Most don't notice that factory commercial ammo for the Win Mag is chronographed with a 24" barrel and the Weatherby Mag is clocked with a 26" barrel. If you check the two calibers with the same barrel lengths, there is far less velocity difference than looking at factory ammo specs. Some of the newer slow burning powders are quite promising for the mag calibers, getting full potential from the large case capacity. All factory ammo is supposedly loaded with specially blended powders, not the same stuff reloaders can buy at retail.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "1) Proven Hornady Bullets
    Light Magnum and Heavy Magnum ammunition is loaded with Hornady's best-performing bullets - the InterLockT, SSTT or InterBondT. The SST, in particular, has become a bullet of choice for hunters who need a higher ballistic coefficient and controlled expansion.

2) Moly-Coated Bullets Available
    Several of our Light Magnum and Heavy Magnum loads are available with moly-coated Hornady bullets. Moly-coated bullets shoot cleaner, cause less wear on your barrel, and in some instances even increase velocity.

3) High Power without Higher Pressure and Heat
    The traditional way to achieve higher velocity is to increase case capacity and/or pressures. Hornady has found a better way - achieving more energy and flatter trajectories in standard cases using a cool burning powder and unique loading method. You get more power from your favorite standard and magnum rifles.

**Light Magnum and Heavy Magnum ammunition is not intended for use in semi-automatic or gas operated firearms.
    "

1. If it is a special powder then how's come winchester or remington don't have a similar?

2. Special loading techniques???

3. I hate magic tricks...
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DENWA,

It is a special blend of technique, and a special blend of powder. It is proven that with Moly coated, or any coating that reduces friction, and fouling, that in order to exceed the same velocity as the standard round you need more powder.

Hornady has a proprietry blend of powders they use in their light, and heavy mag loads. If you look back at some reloading manuals from the late 70's and 80's, where this sosciety was not so litigation happy, you will see that there higher velocities in some areas. One manual I currently have lists a 300 Winny with a 150 grain bullet, and 74 grains of IMR 4350 at 3400 FPS+. That was taken in the 24 inch barrel, so when you add the 26 inch to it it is very close to the Weatherby of the same bore diameter.