In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunsmith help==soldering 1860 colt barrel wedge

reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have an original, all matching numbered, Colt 1860 revolver. The barrel wedge has come "undone", meaning, the floating tab has come unattached. Looking at the piece, it appears that the tab was soldered to the larger wedge body. Is this correct and, if so, how would one go about re-soldering it? What kind of solder would be used? I have met a talented jewelry maker who I think could handle the task. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks, LJM

Comments

• Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    If what you have is an original Colt, my advice to you is to not do anything "on the cheap". Research on the Internet is time consuming, but usually free, so do some research about restoring these old guns. A talented jewelry maker is NOT a talented antique gun restorer.

A talented jewelry maker doesn't know diddly-s#!+ about antique guns, unless they are miraculously, specifically multi-talented in that regard. He/She will do whatever you tell them to do, and they will not be acting with any knowledge about restoring a valuable antique gun and probably won't have any idea if silver-soldering the "broken" part is actually what should be done. Since you don't know what to do, why should you trust someone else who also does not know what to do?
  • Options
    MadmanMadman Member Posts: 601 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reindeer;
    Doug Turnbull, David Yale,the Colt Custom shop just to name a few to request an education...I restore, but do much research prior to any task, and the above mentioned are a class far and above me.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I understand your description, the little spring on the wedge was not soldered in the first place. If yours was soldered, someone has already done the "deed" and resoldering it (if done skillfully) won't make it worse.

On the other hand if you want to pursue the above suggestions, I suggest you buy a repro wedge to put in your gun while you pursue a fix for the problem.

If your wedge has the serial number of the gun on it, maybe the last few digits, it is probably worth some "qualified" attention. If it has no number, any old proper replacement wedge may be the best choice.
  • Options
    reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies: firstly, I came to the experts by asking you guys who collectively know enuff to get me in the right direction and you have. Second, it was never previously repaired. It is an assembly of two pieces that has become unassembled over time. Third, it is serial numbered and matched to the gun. So, although not a museum piece, it is genuine, in nice shape, and with all (even grips) matching numbers. You guys are the greatest. reindeer