In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Smith and Wesson .38 Special

1Patrick1Patrick Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
Recently my uncle passed away and I was given his S&W .38 Special. I would like to know the approximate age and value if possible. The serial # 542308. The firearm is in very good condition.

Thank-you

Comments

• helicopter_pilothelicopter_pilot Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am by no means an expert. However Standard Catalog Of Smith & Wesson says this:

.38 Special Hand Ejector M&P
    1915 - 1942 241704 - 700000

As I said, I'm not an expert. But the s/n falls about in the middle of the 27-year range. The middle of that range would be about 1928 or 1929. But what is the distribution of production? If they made a lot early on and only a few later, the date would be skewed earlier. If they started slow and increased production toward the end, the date would be skewed later. And remember that I'm just going by serial numbers published in a book that arrived in the mail half an hour ago.
  • 1Patrick1Patrick Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W has a 4inch barrel with a foward sight, it's a 6 shot revolver, the handles are a brown wood and the top of the barrel has the following patent dates: Feb 6 08, Sep 14 09, Dec 28 14. The revolver is blue and has been seldom fired.
    Thank-you again
    Hooya
    quote:Originally posted by 1Patrick
    Recently my uncle passed away and I was given his S&W .38 Special. I would like to know the approximate age and value if possible. The serial # 542308. The firearm is in very good condition.

Thank-you