In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm-08 rate of twist

j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in Ask the Experts
hey guys and happy holidays,,,just picked up a used remington 700 bdl with a 24 inch bull barrel in 7mm-08 caliber off a neighbor going through a divorce for $300.00 in very good condition with no scope.does anyone have one that can tell me the rate of twist and what grain bullets would work well in pa. with shots averaging about 200 yards or less.thank you

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    140 grain good all around or hornaday light magnum 139 grain if you want a little more punch both of my rifles love the hornady stuff
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    j3081,

Remington's standard twist rate for their 7mm rifles is 1:9-1/4". Any bullets will work with this twist rate except for the longest and heaviest target bullets. Any of the 130, 140 or 150 grain spitzer soft point bullets will be perfect.

Good Luck with your hunt!

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    j3081,

quote:remington 700 bdl with a 24 inch bull barrel in 7mm-08 caliber

That rifle really, with the 1-9 1/4" twist, sounds like a great LR target rifle. You may only need to shoot 200 but it will shoot a lot longer than that. The best bullet for that rifle shooting long range would be a Berger 168 Gr. I shoot 168 Bergers out of my 7mm Mauser which has nearly identical ballistics. For short to medium range any of the 120's and 140's will do quite nicely. You will only need flat base bullets if you really don't ever plan on shooting long range.