In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass Collectors

Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys, I've been collecting brass for a short time. Mainly for my son to help teach him about the different firearms.

Question, I have a 40mm shell from 3-1945. The markings are 40MM MK.2 MOD I, then an anchor symbol and HDH and SMC LOT 210, it's 9-7/8" long with a slight taper.
Is this a foreign shell? It is tarnished and I was thinking about polishing it but can/will that ruin the value? Does it have any significant value to begin with?

Any info is appreciated, Thanks!!

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    No, it's a US Navy antiaircraft round. It's the big four gun mount that you see on battleship footage firing at aircraft. The crew drops clips of five rounds into the feedtrough. However yours has been cut down to salute battery size at nine inches. Not real valuable, but neat as they are made out of steel now.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks P3, it must have been cut on a lathe? ect some time ago, cause I can't see any saw marks and it is evenly tarnished..

I've seen these used on WWII movies/documentarys and figured it to be an anti-aircraft shell, but wasn't sure.
  • heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The shell is a 40mm Bofors round made for the US Navy.

Skyking is correct and the 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns were used on everything from destroyers to aircraft carriers. These are the guns that were sometimes referred to as pom-pom guns because of the sound they made.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds good, do you guys know the origional lenght of the 40mm shell?
    It currently measures 40.4mm, so it couldn't of been cut too much.
    I googled it and couldn't find much.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The proper name for the 40mm Bofors L/60 AA gun cartridge is "40 x 311 R", my sample measures 12 3/16 long.