In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako Model 75 Opinions

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have first hand knowledge/opinions of this rifle model with it strong and weak points?

Thanks in advance.

Sage1

Comments

• Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a sako 75. its not like my older ones I have but its what I like. the stock fits me like I had it built for me. so far the accuracy has been what I come to know. tight. hunting loads hold 3/4" @ 100yds. this is a 300 mag shooting 165gr nosler. I almost went with a kimber but i felt i didnt like the stock. for me its great.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    Anyone have first hand knowledge/opinions of this rifle model with it strong and weak points?

Thanks in advance.

Sage1

+'s - Buttery action, very smooth, crisp/smooth trigger, very accurate.

-'s - kind of salty in the price dept.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The degree of bolt lift is 70 degrees on the Sako 75. This compares to 54 degrees on Weatherby Mark Vs, 60 degrees on Browning A-bolts, and probably 90 degrees on Remingtons and Winchesters and many others. The less bolt lift, the faster you can cycle them, other things being equal. Further, the lesser bolt lift rifles permit the shooter to cycle the action without interference with the scope and mounts in most rifles. If you would mostly be shooting targets, this is not much of an issue, but in a game or varmint rifle, it can be important.

Sako makes a quality product that will last a lifetime.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my Sako 75 not long ago on sale for $889. Because the 75 has been discontinued, you can often find it substantially discounted from the $1300 plus MSRP. Mine is a lefthand 25-06, walnut stock, 22 7/8 inch barrel. I used it this year to shoot rockchucks at sometimes long range. The trigger is very good on it, but I did have my gunsmith lighten it up and slick it up. I have had many Weatherby Mark Vs over the last 30 years, and the Sako compares quite well to them in quality of workmanship.

The Sako is a quality and substantial rifle, but is not a light rifle. Mine weights close to eight pounds without scope and sling. The detachable magazine is nice, because you can carry an extra one for quick reloading.

Sako has a one inch at 100 accuracy guaranty, which is quite good in the marketplace. However, mine does not seem to like Federal Premium ammo much. Perhaps it is hotter than it likes. However, mine shoots Hunting Shack 75 grain Hornady V-Maxes quite well at about 3/4 inch or so.

The Sako is a quality rifle with much to recommend it. It will last several lifetimes if cared for.