In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what is the best all around cartridge

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
If I could only have one rifle and cartridge for varmint hunting, what rifle and cartirdge should i get? Also scopes?

Comments

• Options
    jedwiljedwil Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a set budget or is money no object???
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one rifle? Only Varmint hunting?

Remington XR-100 in 22-250
    CZ 550 Varmint Laminate in 22-250

Nikon Monarch II in 6-24x50 on top.

Can't go wrong.

Edit: if it's going to be an all around do-all, go with a 308. Remington Still makes their accelerator, I have about 8 boxes at the store.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06! In a Rem 700 or Win Mod. 70! Loads for it range from 55grainer saboted .223 bullets to the big 200gr Bad boys! Varmint to Bears! Yes I know there accelerators are hard to find but there is a company in Utah that still offers the sabots and Accurate Powders offers load data.

What do the rest of you guys think?

308Win.! Now you guys are talk in my neck of the woods! It is my love! I suggested the 30-06 cause it will do everything a 308 will plus some. The main reason being it is better suited for the heavier 200 and up bullets. And I didn't even think to include the 257Roberts!

We might want to get this moved to General Discussion, cause I forsee a LONG topic here!
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a little partial to the old, old, old .220 Swift. She stood as king of the hill far longer than I will find out in my lifetime if the .204 passes her up. She has taken the heads of so many chucks, and stolen the hearts of many. Sometimes hard to load for, but with IMR-4064 and 53 grain Sierra match king hollow points, a load can be found. I myself used to shoot the 4064, but now H380 has proven to be better in my rifle. At one time I had 3 of them, one I had rebarreled to 22-250 Ackley Improved. That is a whole nuther love affair. I also think that the standard 22-250, is an outstanding choice. I still choose the swift as my top pick. When you say I'm taking the Swift, (I'm taking the Swift) sounded so good the first time, had to say it again, just has a great ring to it. Many old timers in my area used to knock whitetails off their feet with the swift. Just an awsome old nostalgic cartridge that still kicks *. If folks think about it, there are not many new rounds out there that can much more than the old rounds. Gunwriters, and Gun Company's, have to make a living I guess. A 30-06,270,.257 roberts, etc... kills a deer just as dead as a 300 wssm and all the new stuff. People can buy all the new guns made, but a new rifle is usless, if the person can't shoot. I do however see an advantage to the Ultra Mags for Big game. By Big I mean when we enter an arena where we are not the top of the food chain. Big guns don't make up for poor shots or lack of practice or training. In fact, if a guy is going on a dangerous game hunt, he should be at his club taking that beating, not wait to find out what happens when you wound a grizzly, and he is closing fast. Bad time to discover a flinch. Anyway, I could go on forever. .220 Swift is my choice and my 2 cts.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would got the 25-06. This would give you the accuracy you would want and the option to go bigger game once you got the the game bug.

On a limited budget I would go with a Nikon or Leopold Scope.

If bread did not matter this would be a fairly tail and would take a lot longer time.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jtmarine0831
    30-06! In a Rem 700 or Win Mod. 70! Loads for it range from 55grainer saboted .223 bullets to the big 200gr Bad boys! Varmint to Bears! Yes I know there accelerators are hard to find but there is a company in Utah that still offers the sabots and Accurate Powders offers load data.

What do the rest of you guys think?

I would give that a +1...but a 308 is better because it is in fact used by nato...
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    For varmint hunting I would go with an AR style in .223. Practice ammo is much cheaper than any of the other "varmit" cartridges, plus I have a feeling that the market on the "evil black rifles" is going to be making a major move in the next couple of years.

Plus, they make good zombie killers too.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1