In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Para PXT .45 Nite Hawg Opinions

DMFD-MinisterDMFD-Minister Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I recently applied for and received my LTC in Indiana and have been doing some investigation on a good CCW. There are three things I'm looking for: Physical Size, Bullet Size, and quality of product. First, you don't want anyone to know your carrying, hence the term concealed and the advantage to a micro sized gun like the hawgs. In addition, I have small hands. I cannot even reach the hammer with my thumb on a colt 1911 to pull it back to give you an idea. Even a USP .40 compact is a bit too large. Second, if the situation arises where a firearm is needed to defend yourself or others, you want your rounds to carry a significant ammount of energy (.40 or .45). Third, you don't want your weapon to malfunction...especially if a situation arises where using it is necessary (which we would hope would never happen, but the world's not perfect.)

The Para Hawg series seems to be a good fit. High quality, high accuracy, large round, very compact, still carries 10+1, and great reviews. The problem: they're expensive and hence, not very common. I cannot find a gunshop in my area that has one, much less test-fire it before purchase. I am hoping that some folks on this board might have some experience with the Para Hawgs and whether they would be a decent CCW (particularly the .45 ACP). Let me know what you think or if you would have any suggested alternatives.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I may agree with your choice but I suggest you find a BIG gun show within driving distance and go visit you will be able to compare all sizes of 1911 based pistols. I have a number of 1911 pistols and they are all full size [:p] I shoot matches but Being a skinny old man I carry something else for a carry gun .most gun shows will have a wider selection of all kinds of pistols rather then a gun shop .
  • Options
    polar2458polar2458 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my CCW permit for several years and have two favorite carry guns. My first is a Para P10-45 stainless purchased new in '97 and love it. Only problem is weight. With the stainless P10 and 11 rounds of 230 grain bullets, I prefer a shoulder holster (Galco). Living in FL, especially in summer with no jacket, I can carry a Beretta .32 auto with out the shoulder rig, and be comfortable in a T-shirt. You DO need to find one and "try it on". It's not that expensive, you can locate a good used one for $600-$650 and that isn't too much for a gun this capacity and size. After all, with your CCW, your life may depend on it! Find one and practice, practice, and practice some more. Quality, dependability, size, capacity, the Para's are ahead of the game, amd mine is the only gun I own that I don't consider selling. Good Luck...

quote:Originally posted by DMFD-Minister
    I recently applied for and received my LTC in Indiana and have been doing some investigation on a good CCW. There are three things I'm looking for: Physical Size, Bullet Size, and quality of product. First, you don't want anyone to know your carrying, hence the term concealed and the advantage to a micro sized gun like the hawgs. In addition, I have small hands. I cannot even reach the hammer with my thumb on a colt 1911 to pull it back to give you an idea. Even a USP .40 compact is a bit too large. Second, if the situation arises where a firearm is needed to defend yourself or others, you want your rounds to carry a significant ammount of energy (.40 or .45). Third, you don't want your weapon to malfunction...especially if a situation arises where using it is necessary (which we would hope would never happen, but the world's not perfect.)

The Para Hawg series seems to be a good fit. High quality, high accuracy, large round, very compact, still carries 10+1, and great reviews. The problem: they're expensive and hence, not very common. I cannot find a gunshop in my area that has one, much less test-fire it before purchase. I am hoping that some folks on this board might have some experience with the Para Hawgs and whether they would be a decent CCW (particularly the .45 ACP). Let me know what you think or if you would have any suggested alternatives.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, gun shows is a great idea. I'm tracking down a couple for janurary. [:)]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome, DMFD. Springfield Armory and Kimber also have some small 1911-style handguns you might look at. Springfield's EMP comes in 9mm, so you could consider that. Also their XD series is quite nice. It comes in many sizes and fits many people's hands. Calibers from 9mm-.45acp. I carry the 3" .40S&W all day long and it doesn't bother me. Very easy to conceal.
    What part of Indiana are you in? I'm up north, so if you are in this area, we'll go shooting some time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did look at the Kimber ultra carry II series. They look almost identical to the hawgs with one major drawback: magazine capacity. The Hawgs are 10+1 and you can get 12+1, whereas the Kimbers are 7+1.

I just took a look at the Springfield XD sub-compact and like what I see. I've been trying to find articles on the .40 model to gauge accuracy and whatnot vs. the hawgs. I also wonder how much pressure needs to be asserted to the grip in order to disengage the safety and if that would be an asset or a liability in a situation.

I live pretty close to indianapolis at the moment.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    With your small hands, I suggest you look at the Kahr P-45 or P-40. You don't have the high capacity, but they are more compact. I carry either the P-9 or 45 myself and don't feel undergunned [;)]
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DMFD-Minister
    I did look at the Kimber ultra carry II series. They look almost identical to the hawgs with one major drawback: magazine capacity. The Hawgs are 10+1 and you can get 12+1, whereas the Kimbers are 7+1.

I just took a look at the Springfield XD sub-compact and like what I see. I've been trying to find articles on the .40 model to gauge accuracy and whatnot vs. the hawgs. I also wonder how much pressure needs to be asserted to the grip in order to disengage the safety and if that would be an asset or a liability in a situation.

I live pretty close to indianapolis at the moment.

There are some that argue the single-stack mags offer better reliability. I'm sure it's splitting hairs like the external vs. internal extractors and the bushingless vs. bushing argument. I had a Para P-13 that was highly unreliable no matter what I fed it so I sold it but I'm sure that was just a fluke. I've never heard anyone else say anything bad about their Para. The width of the single-stack is more favorable to concealed carry as well.