In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Trooper question

sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
Can it automatically be assumed that any Colt Trooper Mark 3 in
.357 will also accept the .38 special cartrige?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes the 38 special is just .10 inch shorter. If you shoot a bunch of then clean all chambers before going back to 357 Mag
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by socks

Absolutely - will work every time.

But I have a 357 Magnum that won't function with 38 Specials - anyone want to take a guess at why? FYI - the gun is not broken or defective in any way. [;)]
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A puzzle... Assuming your 357 Magnum is not an autoloader which might need the size and pressures of the 357 cartdidge to function, or perhaps a rifle that won't function as a repeater due to the shorter cartridge not feeding onto-off of the lifter correctly, I could only speculate. You didn't mention the type of firearm. If a revolver: perhaps the 357 cartridges are headspacing off the forward end of the case like a .45 ACP does, and the 38 Specials are too short, and the firing pin won't strike the primer due to excess real headspace dimensions, rear of cylinder to frame?
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PA: Colt Trooper is a revolver.....Socks: any .357 with handle .38 Special but NEVER the other way around. (Unless you DID have an auto like the Coonan, then maybe you'd need to stick to .357 only).
  • Options
    4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dfletcher: Lever action? Rim of second cartridge keeps 1st cartridge from being lifted up by the carrier to the ready to chamber position.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by socks

Absolutely - will work every time.

But I have a 357 Magnum that won't function with 38 Specials - anyone want to take a guess at why? FYI - the gun is not broken or defective in any way. [;)]

I am assuming that your pistol is indeed a semi auto, either a Coonan, or a Desert Eagle. The gas operated Desert Eagle will need all the pressure it can ger, where as the other deladed tilt lock needs the umph of the magnum to operate the recoil spring.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --
    Well, dfletcher didn't say his .357 was a pistol. Someone else alluded to the .357Mag lever action rifle that may not feed the .38S&W Special.

Perhaps our friend dfletcher is pulling a fast one? Is he talking about the .357Mag, which is akin to the .38S&W Special, or his he talking about the newer .357Mag Sig (I think that's it) cartridge?

But perhaps he's talking about the AutoMag semi-auto pistol in caliber .357Mag(?). I don't know.......Better answer quick dfletcher before they lock this thread.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    To answer the original question.

Yes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wolf & PA - you got me pulling a fast one, sort of. It's a Coonan semi auto. It's chambered in and the recoil springs are set up for 357 Magnums.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a Coonan 357 that had a kit to shoot 38spl's. The mags had a filler for the shorter 38's and it had different recoil springs for them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I had a Coonan 357 that had a kit to shoot 38spl's. The mags had a filler for the shorter 38's and it had different recoil springs for them.

I've heard of them - I'm just trying to save up some $$$ to buy another 357 magazine. At about $150.00 - $200.00 a pop [:0] I'll be content with three.