In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinions on the Ruger PC4

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
I know they are not made anymore, but they are available. I have a Ruger P94 in .40 cal. I was thinking about matching it with a PC4 especially since they use identical mags. I was wondering if this is a reliable and reasonably "accurate" firearm or does the PC4 have problems?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a kp95 so got a pc9 for the same reason you have. I can't find anything wrong with the pc carbine in either operation or accuracy. Mine shoots 147 grain gold dot hp as well as most people can hold. I added an Aimpoint 7000 and have no problem ringing an 8" gong at 100 yards. They are a little heavier than some might like but that helps steady your aim.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one I picked up last summer. It has the ghost ring sights,very accurate, it has never jammed,even using the20 round mags I got. Mags are made by Promag. Last sunday 3 of use shot 450 rds out of it at pumpkins and it never missed a beat. The only draw back to it is everybody who shoots it wants to take it home.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun tests did a comparison between 9mm carbines back around 2004 or 2005. I used to have a subscription. They compared a Ruger with a Kel Tec and a Hi Point. The Hi Point got higher marks over the others in all categories (accuracy, trigger, reliability, etc). I know the Hi Point feels like a cheap Mattel toy but it's less expensive if you're just looking for a plinker and Gun tests seems to have more confidence.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    Gun tests did a comparison between 9mm carbines back around 2004 or 2005. I used to have a subscription. They compared a Ruger with a Kel Tec and a Hi Point. The Hi Point got higher marks over the others in all categories (accuracy, trigger, reliability, etc). I know the Hi Point feels like a cheap Mattel toy but it's less expensive if you're just looking for a plinker and Gun tests seems to have more confidence.

Does Hi-Point offer their carbine in .40 though?

I haven't owned a Hi-Point, but have heard good things about the carbines -- unlike their pistols. At the same time, other than a for "plinker" I wouldn't own the Hi-Point. I want higher standards (in metallurgy, manufacture and assembly) on any firearm I might be using in a self-defense application; I do not feel that Hi-Point has anywhere near the production quality that Ruger has.

I have two PC9s (one is a very early production gun actually marked "Police Carbine" -- my understanding is that Ruger changed the receiver stamping to just "Ruger Carbine" after the first few hundred guns).

They are terrific carbines -- though re-assembly after stripping for cleaning is a bit of a pain.

I don't quite understand why Ruger stopped producing them; I think the public was just beginning to understand what wonderful firearms they are. They didn't fit the niche (police department sales) Ruger was hoping for, but I think sales to the public would have increased if Ruger had marketed it better.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Hi Point has a 40 carbine. But the mags are low cap only, and personally I would much rather own a Kel Tec or Ruger from what I see of Hi Point quality.
  • Options
    AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive shot the Ruger 40 and found that it recoiled a lot for what it is.

It was fairly accurate, but what was weird was how hot it got, and FAST! That little heat sink on top will burn the crap out of you after 3 mags...that's 33 rounds.

D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Mobuck: First my apologies for a tardy reply. I was out of range over the weekend. This was a great post and you provided me with valuable information that will really help. I thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Brier 49: Again, apologies for a tardy reply. That is great to hear. I wonder why they quit making it. I know where there are 12, right now, but, I won't have the dough until the 28th of December. I have no choice but to wait. This should be fun if they have them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Idsman 45: I got it. The Kel Tec 2000 and the Hi-Point are my backup choices if I can't the Ruger. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    For Competentone: Hey, that is great information. If I can still get one, I order on the 26th or 27th of this month. 24 more days. They may be out and that will be too bad. I have a Ruger P94 in .40 cal and a P-95 in 9mm so I could go either way. Thanks for a great post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wehrmacht 45: Thanks. I kind of was thinking along the same lines. I hope the Kel Tec will hold up if I can't get the Ruger.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Azex: Something to consider I guess. Hey by the way, where can I find that map you have attached?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know how hard the 9's are to come by?