In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700 Mountain Rifle 257 Roberts

The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
Ran across a 700 Mountain rifle in .257 Roberts, I have not purchased it yet, but can't find a good price. I wish I could buy all my guns at blue book value, but was just wondering if $600 is too much for this rifle. I'd say it's better than 90%. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Riverview SalesRiverview Sales Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy it.... Or you can look around for another year or so to save $50 maybe
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The butcher,

I have seen them go for more than that. It was a limited run from '91? to 95-ish if I remember right. It's a lot to pay for a rifle of it's type but it's one of the only ones out there that is relatively modern.

You can get a Ruger Mk II standard for a hundred less brand new. I don't know what your thoughts are on that. I think Rugers are pretty good. Others have stated they have a bad accuracy problem. I think that is more of a mini-14 thing vs. a Mk II thing.

Edit:

I'm not sure about this one but I understand that this is the only modern .257 Roberts chambered rifle Remington offered in a long action. The model 30S was a long action.You would have to do a little more research on that to verify though.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That seems to be a decent price for a Mountain Rifle, if you like the caliber I would jump on it......
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of dealers would like to buy for blue book. Tell me where it is, I will buy it...
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a decent price if the rifle is in 90 percent or better condition. The 257 Roberts is a good deer and antelope cartridge, especially with the right loads and bullets.
  • Options
    The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I now own it. Anyone have any good starting load data? Any would be helpful. Thanks
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips and H-4350 are as good as it will get in your new rifle.
    Work the powder weights until you have a load that is mind boggling accurate.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Butcher,

First, is it a long action? Second, I've been loading for that rifle for over thirty years now. The family recipe is 41 gr. of 4895 behind an 87 gr. spitzer. I've taken all my deer when using that rifle with that load. Next, start at 37 gr of VV N140 and work up to 42 gr. with a 100 gr. bullet. Nosler, Sierra Speer, Hornady all work. If heavier bullets are your thing, I would recommend using up to 43 gr. of 4350 behind a 115 Nosler Partition or 117 Hornady SST.