In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 700 in 6.8MM Remington SPC

MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have any idea what the Model 700 Limited production runs in 6.8mmRemington SPC are worth? I see them in gun shows, with asking prices of mid-800's to mid-900's. Do they have any collector value or are they just another mistake that's going no where?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mikein,

I hate to see any question go unanswered so here is my somewhat slanted view about 'collectible' firearms.

I suppose that anything could be collectible and this is proven day in and day out on any of the auction sites. However, the problem is "What really makes something collectible?" Can a company such as Remington simply put the label 'Limited' on a firearm and instantly make it a collectible product?

In this instance, I don't think so. I've seen lots of Remington, Winchester, Ruger or whatever 'Limited', this model or that model, and they seem to just hang around with very little interest being shown. Sure folks buy them and probably put them away but there never seems to be that overwhelming rush to buy or the public excitement over the release of such models. On top of that, the ones I've seen, never seem to gain value simply from being 'Limited'.

Value as a collectible for the Remington M700 Limited in the 6.8 SPC should follow the same path if only from the standpoint that the general public has shown less than stellar interest in the cartridge alone. It made a splash with the Tactical/Sniper groups but since then the tumult has died down to say the least.

In other words, it should remain the same or similar price for the foreseeable future. Now, that's not to say that it won't be significantly more valuable in 100 years when the collectors acknowledge that there were only a few hundred or 1,000 of something made and it now falls into that overused term of 'Rare'. But in terms of the current and near future, I don't see any significance to this rifle being a collectible.

Now we can let collectors have at this and represent the other side of the coin.

Good luck with your decision!

Best.
  • MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, nononsense. Based on the "underwhelming" response I got from the posting, I had about reached the same decision. These Limited Remingtons were made under contract with Acusport. The fact that Acusport didn't order additional ones after the initial Limiteds sold out is also indicative of the fact that not many folks are interested in the cartridge; therefore not real interested in a Limited production run rifle in that caliber.

Mike
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I passed up $600 NIB for that rifle,.....chambering is simply not needed and offers no advantage.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional feedback, JustC! I guess I'll continue to pass on the "opportunity" to purchase one of these rifles. (Unless, of course, the price is right and I just can't help myself!)
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For modern collecting, it is a limited number run that comes from the factory, not someone special ordering a bunch. It can also be a collection of a number of firearms in aseries, or collecting the whole complete series that makes them collectable as a whole. An example of that is I know two gentlemen, one has the whole series of the Colt/Sauer bolt actions in every chambering they made. The other has every chambering, and every year of the Remington 700 Classic series. As a whole series, those are more valuable than piecing them out.

Just a "Limited" series ordered by a distributor...down the road a 100 years or so, but not right away.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional feedback, TSR1965! I'm not a collector; merely an accumulater of firearms, so I wasn't really familiar with how value was determined, particularly on modern arms.

I still find the caliber, and the history associated with it, to be kinda fascinating. But, thanks to everyone's help here at this site, if I do decide to buy one, it will be an informed decision, and I won't hold out any hopes of passing it on to my grandkids as part of my "estate," or worrying about the Remington Collection Association beating down my door to view my prize possession.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mikein,

A firearm only really becomes collectible, and it's collect-ability is based on, when it has long been out of production, and a few people start to say, "That was a really good gun!" Then all of a sudden the world is on fire for this gun.

Any company can turn out a 'collectible'. But if doesn't come by customer demand then it really never turns into a collectible.