In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 442 or S&W 642 - What's the difference?

TSteenTSteen Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Profile name should be HANDGUN ROOKIE - But I'm thinking of getting my wife one of the S&W Airweight's in a .38 caliber. what's the difference between the 442 & 642 guns?

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Models with a "6" are stainless.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue and stainless, in that order.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 642 is stainless, the 442 is an Airweight version - much lighter and alot more recoil as a result.
  • Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both are airweights. The 642 is stainless. The 442 is blued.
  • TSteenTSteen Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THanks everyone for the help. I kept looking at the specs but didn't realize that it could be as simple as this. Cheers...
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TSteen
    THanks everyone for the help. I kept looking at the specs but didn't realize that it could be as simple as this. Cheers...
    Actually both have alloy frames, one is blued the other is not. Only the cylinders are stainless in both versions. Both fire up to 38+P. The 640 is all stainless steel and will fire .357 mag.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Boomerang
    quote:Originally posted by TSteen
    Actually both have alloy frames, one is blued the other is not. Only the cylinders are stainless in both versions. Both fire up to 38+P. The 640 is all stainless steel and will fire .357 mag.

While Smith models starting with the number "6" are IN GENERAL stainless, that's not the case here.

Boomerang has the the correct answer. Neither the 442 nor the 642 have stainless frames, though the cylinder in both is stainless. (Don't know about the barrel, though its definitely steel). Hammer, trigger, and other parts are conventional carbon steel, not stainless.

Both guns use aluminum alloy frames.

The 442 has a black (blue) colored frame.
    The 642 has a natural/gray colored frame.

I think the finish is anodized with a clear coat over it. . .but don't hold me to that.

Either way, the only real difference between these guns is the color.

Some people like a dark finish, to help concealment. Other people prefer a shiny/bright finish, for exactly the opposite reason. . .it draws attention to the gun, presumeably making it appear larger or more threatening.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought the cylinder and barrel in the model 442 were blued, carbon steel??? The 642 has a stainless cylinder and barrel with an alloy frame, correct?
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161
    I thought the cylinder and barrel in the model 442 were blued, carbon steel??? The 642 has a stainless cylinder and barrel with an alloy frame, correct?
    Actually a 442 can have either a carbon steel or a stainless steel cylinder. Same goes with the barrel. I have both a 642 and a 442 and both have stainless steel barrel and cylinders.
  • ManiacmanManiacman Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Blue and stainless, in that order.

A few years back, I bought my wife a 642. Recently her dad died and he had a 442 but it looks to be stainless (bright) and the only difference I can see (other than the barrel doesn't say +P) is the sight groove on the 442 is smaller and the ejector plate is not stainless.
    Both have hidden hammers.

I can't find any other info about the 442 having a bright finish.

Does anyone know about this ?