In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Garand folding stock?

gr8buysgr8buys Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I need help identifying and evaluating some gun stocks that I inherited. I've been told this first one is a M1 Garand folding stock. It is an original, (not repro.). Everything works.springs on the butt piece, hinges, etc. I also have the fore grip piece (not sure what it is called). I haven't been able to find a similar stock on Gunbroker. Link to photos: http://img560.imageshack.us/g/1002003.jpg/

I hope this is the way to post photos. Any information would be much appreciated! I plan to sell this.
Thanks, L
[url][/url]

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    This is an M1 Carbine stock NOT a M1 Garand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. Any idea what it's worth? I need all the help I can get. As you can see, I know nothing about guns!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the procedure for posting photos on this forum:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Neal

EDIT: L, that is correct. You must post a link to each photo you want to show us; you cannot make it appear with link to an album. We should not have to go to your album, especially since someone has (messed up) your album & it may infect our computers with malware. In any case, the only really useful photo you have is the close-up of the P on the pistol grip; all the others are too far away for identification. But, it does appear that the wood has been heavily sanded; it's difficult to tell if the light colored wood is original or a handmade replacement. Value of the stock will not be high.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    This is the procedure for posting photos on this forum:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Neal

Neal, When I preview using the link to the album, I still get just the link. If I just had one or two pics, I think I could link the url's for each pic as instructed?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said before these are M1 carbine para trooper folding stocks.
    They are highly desireable & collectible. Put them up for auction here
    and you will find out what they are worth.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    As said before these are M1 carbine para trooper folding stocks.
    They are highly desireable & collectible. Put them up for auction here
    and you will find out what they are worth.

Will do. Only have one of these. Thanks
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Very nice. It will do well on the auction side.

1001998v.jpg
    1001997t.jpg
    1001996f.jpg
    1001999e.jpg
    1002000d.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so much for uploading the pics, Spider! Will list this soon.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps it's just the photo, but there appears to be quite a difference between the wood of the grip and the "upper" - does that indicate the stock was put together from two separate stocks and does that effect value? Might the upper part be not original also?

Just asking, not asserting.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to say you have a frankenstock. You have a potbelly stock which is post-WWII mated to a WWII paratrooper folding stock. The potbelly even has the M2 cutout for a full auto carbine.

This may be an arsenal redo for the Korean war, but the stock has been sanded and refinished, and obliterated any arsenal rebuild marks.

The good news the folding parts are highly valued as they look authentic WWII issue. Paratrooper carbines command the highest prices
    and desirable to collectors.

It would be better to separate the folding stock and sell it alone.

good luck, Thor