In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wad Cutter meaning

bagsjrbagsjr Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W 32 Long Hand Ejector third run. I bought what I though was the correct ammunition, 32 Long, but I received 32 WC or wad cutter. Is it ok to use these in the gun?

Also someone many many years ago cut the barrel length and welded a new sight onto it. It looks a bit crude but not bad work. ok to fire?

Thanks,
Bob.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wad Cutters are specifically made for target shooting. The flat nose cuts a round hole in a paper target that is much easier to measure/score when trying to determine the winner of the match.

Wad cutters are usually light loaded, specifically for target shooting. No problem if your revolver is safe to fire.

If you have any doubts about the safety of your revolver? Take it to a gunsmith for inspection of timing & lockup, and test firing.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .32 S&W Long wadcutter is the only case I know of where the target load is higher velocity than the "service" load. Apparently needed for reliable operation of the European target .32 autos.

It still won't hurt a sound S&W.
  • Options
    bagsjrbagsjr Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks I'll find a gunsmith and get some better ammo.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The 32S&W long Wadcutter is a popular loading for target shooting. You can also shoot 32 S&W short." the box of ammo may just read 32S&W with no mention of the word short. In my opinion the reasons ot is called a wadcutter is when you shoot a piece of target paper it cuts a prefect clean hole sort of like a Paper punch or punch used to cut a paper WAD for reloading shot shells . the name wadcutter just stuck. The bullet is basicly Flat nose a semi Wadcutter is have pointed and has a sharp shoulder again it cuts a clean round hole in paper or cardboard.