In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How Many Times Do You Reload Your Brass?

olsenjbolsenjb Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm just curious if folks on here have a set number of times you'll reload your brass before you throw it out. Obviously, if you see any damage (split neck, separated head, etc), then you'd throw it out. But, even if you don't see any of that, do you still have a set number of times you're comfortable reloading it before throwing it out?

Comments

• Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I don't have a set number of times that I reload my brass. I reload them until one splits or shows other signs of being worn out. I will normally reload brass for my 41mag 20 times. The first 4 times with full power jacketed bullet loads then will use the brass only for med lead bullet loads. In the 30-06 I will only use Military match brass and have reloaded that as many as 25 times. The 454 brass is usually worn out after 4 loadings, but had one lot that I reloaded 6 times.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are so many variables that a general number cannot be used. Type of gun action, brand of brass, pressure of load, loading dies, technique during loading, annealed brass, neck sizing only. 3 to 4 loads for some and 100 or more for benchrest shooters using premium tools and carefully prepped brass in close tolerance chambers.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .38 Special wadcutter, I usually stop when the headstamp has worn off. Hot bottleneck loads, rifle, might go 4 times.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As zimmden suggest, there are several factors involved. the quality of the brass would be number one. Cartridge brass does not equal cartridge brass, so to speak. Though there is a specific formulation the element content, there are tolerences involved. As most manufacturing is diversafied, some strive for cost efficiency, and some for quality. Very rarily do those two go hand in hand in the world of manufacturing in today's world.

Then there is the amount that you are working the brass. Are you full length resizing, neck only sizing, full length-small base sizing for semi-auto rifles, bushing sizing for a match chamber, etc...

There are several other factors involved. If you have not saked this in the reloading forum, You might want to do that. I am sure those folks over there can give you a big spin on this topic.

Best
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are loading for...bolt, semi auto, etc? Also how hot are you loading your ammo? And finally are you annealing your brass?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Until it fails or shows signs of failing.

Even then, if just a neck split, if I can cut it down to something else I do. For instance, a neck split 30-06 is fated to be turned into 8mm Mauser.

I have some that have failed after 10 loads. Others are at 200 reloads (neck sized only, very mild cast loads) with no sign of any wear.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's speak in general terms.

Depending on what your loadings are, your brass may last fewer than ten, or more that thirty reloadings.

On the average, however, given that most folks who reload in quantity, usually reload using some modest or mid-range power factors, you can generally expect your brass to last through 20-25 reloading cycles. I usually shoot lower powered reloads for the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) and my brass can last 30-40 cycles.

OH YES, please remember, if you do not already know this, that nickel-plated brass usually last fewer than 1/4 to 1/2 the number of reloading cycles than plain brass will. The case necks crack or pieces of the neck area chip out. After reloading nickel-plated brass, you should inspect the reloads very, very carefully for case damage. As I understand it, nickel-plated brass was developed to resist corrosion and discoloration of the cartridges used in carry weapons (exposure to sweat, body heat, etc.) and for harsh environments. That is why you see high-end factory self defense/offense cartridges loaded in nickel-plated brass.