In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.380 Ruger LCP

tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
I noticed a few recent posts about using a .380 for defense. I just want to explain what I have come up with using my Ruger .380 for concealed carry in my pants pocket and loaded with Silver Tip hollow points.

I found the Ruger LCP .380 to be such a tiny gun I can easily carry it concealed in my pants pocket. But more importantly, it is a totally reliable little gun. I had gotten tired of having to find a way to cover up my XD40 subcompact when I carried it on a belt holster and wife and I, for example, spent a hour or so at a restaurant. So unless I am going to wear my shirt out that day, or it is cool enough to leave a light jacket on in the restaurant, I just stick the little .380 in my pocket.

But I am not happy that it does not have a slide lock on the last shot. That and I have never really felt I could depend on a little .380. Although a guy at work said he accidently fired a .380 into his floor at home and it went through the floor and into the basement. Seems like pretty good penetration. Anyway, to make up for the lack of a slide lock and the small .380, if I have to shoot a threat I will just unload most of the magazine on that threat. Then, if necessary or possible, I will use a tactical reload with one of the other two, tiny extra mags I carry in the other pocket. This seems to work well for me and has solved all my problems about accidently revealing a holstered firearm on my belt while out in public.

I believe this is a good plan. Any advice from the more experienced CCW holders?

I have and use a pocket holster as one can immediately see the benefit in it. I have two extra mags even though I might never need them or even be able to use them for various reasons. Extra mags are to me kinda like having a gun. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Based on the advice of beantownshooter I might alternate the magazine rounds between FMJ and the silvertip hollow points. Again, because if I could accurately predicate what and when is going to happen to me and exactly what I need to carry and what will work, I would probably also be able to predict when such bad things are going to happen and I would just stay home that day.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Penetration is a good thing, but not nearly as important as energy. Bullet weight = energy. There is no substitute for muzzle energy, period. Nothing stops a threat quicker.
    That being said, I guess a 380 in your pocket is better than a 44 mag in your pickup or car, when your not.
    I've had a carry permit for 35+ years, the smallest caliber I've ever carried is a 1911 in 38 super, but thats just me.
    Spend the money and buy the very best holsters you can get. I'm always amazed to see a $1000 1911 in a $10 Uncle Mikes rig. The higher the quality, the more comfort and ease of use.
    I'll get down off my soap box and let someone else answer.
    W.D.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few comments:

If you don't have a good pocket holster, get one. It will keep pocket lint and dust from entering your gun, it will break up the outline of your gun helping to make it less identifiable, it will keep the gun oriented properly in your pocket for a consistent draw, and it will keep the triggerguard covered, hopefully reducing the chance of an in-pocket discharge.

IMO, these are basically mandatory for pocket carry.

There are a bunch of pocket holsters out there for the Ruger/Kel Tec, and a good durable all leather one can be had for $20 or so. I have a Galco and it works fine.

In terms of ammo, penetration is pretty limited with lightweight (ie typically 90 grain) .380 rounds, so in my opinion ball ammo is probably the best choice for carry (not hollowpoint) since it offers better penetration. Remember to incapacitate someone you need to hit a vital organ, and to do that requires penetration (not energy).

By the numbers, kinetic energy is equal to mass x the square of velocity. So there is no difference in energy whatever between hollowpoint and ball bullets of similar weight at similar velocities. The difference is that hollowpoint bullets BY DESIGN give up their energy quicker. That's good if you have a really heavy powerful bullet like a .45 that is likely to exit the target. Hollowpoint rounds mean more energy is given up inside the target, not wasted outside it after it exits. This is not so good with a .380 where a hollowpoint bullet can blow up when it hits a leather jacket or bone!

Also, as a minor point, within a given caliber, LIGHTER bullets actually tend to yield more muzzle energy, as their velocities are proportionately higher, and the formula for energy favors faster rounds. This, for example, is why a standard ball 115 grain 9mm luger round has similar muzzle energy as a standard ball 230 grain .45ACP round (both about 350 ft-lbs). I think most would agree, that the .45 ACP, which launches the heavier bullet, is the better round. Again, in general, within a given caliber, the heavier bullets are likely to offer better penetration, even if they don't offer higher kinetic energies.

On reloads. . .nice to have an extra mag or two, but in practice, I doubt its going to change much. After only a few shots, one of two things will happen; the individual you were shooting at is incapacitated or will be running away (the latter being more likely with a .380, I think), or alternatively he's in your face. Nobody is just going to stand there twiddling their thumbs while you empty seven shots into them, reload your gun, then repeat!

I think having an extra mag is a good idea mostly because its possible to lose the one in your gun by mistake. Having extra capacity could be helpful if you were to get into an actual gunfight, though for civilians that's exceptionally unlikely. If you think that's a real possibility you're better off with the PITA harder to conceal larger gun, instead of an extra mag!

Even if you were to get into a fight against multiple assailants, the same thing as above applies. Once the shooting starts, they're either going to run away (most likely), or run at you, and if its the latter, you probably won't get to reload.

Finally, my personal take on the .380 is exactly what was mentioned in the last thread. I'm really not fond of it, and I don't have a lot of confidence in either its power or reliability, but it still makes an excellent substitute for the better gun I can't actually carry.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LCP is my number #1 seller in the shop.. Desantis makes a nice little pocket holster for $20-25 bucks !
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Desantis nemisis for pocket carry of my lcp. I don't know how many they have sold, but I'll bet its a bunch!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    People do not die from "bullet energy," If they did vests would be valueless. They die or get incapacitated from organ damage due to penetration of the bullet. A .380 is borderline, but certainly far better than nothing. I agree with Beantownshooter. Ball ammo. I don't bother with hollow point for my LCP.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a LCP whenever my 1911 is not feasible for concealed carry in public.

quote:A .380 is borderline, but certainly far better than nothing.

I would not like to be shot with a .380 and all one has to do is see the effectiveness of this caliber is to do some home comparisons to gain a little respect for it. Practice and proficiency is the key with any firearm, caliber and application thereof. Military and police forces have used this caliber for more than 75 years.

I agree with using the .380 ball ammo. Had that lesson pointed out to me many years ago at the range by a LEO and WWII vet.

Within the close range environment in which this pocket pistol LCP was designed I am comfortable with it. I am not looking to fight but rather protect and escape.

If I have to do business in an environment that warrants heavier firepower then it is prudent to bring it our better yet don't go to that risk environment.

The LCP .380 has its place in the arena of personal protection.

Good post.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    tr fox.........I love my little Ruger .380 lcp. Small, light, fits my small hand well with the extended mag. Keep one mag in the gun and the other in my left pocket. I have the Desantis pocket holster mentioned but find the the little pistol fits fine in my pocket change compartment in my left pocket....yes, it is that small! Keep another mag in my left pocket. I have several friends who also have CC and love it also. It is so light that I quickly forget that I actually have it in the pocket[^]. Just a winner all around IMHO
  • Options
    littlegunlittlegun Member Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry my glock 23 or 27 whenever possible but sometimes I have to carry the LCP it is a joy to carry but I don't think it is even close to the gun the other two are. I can carry the 27 in my pocket instead of the LCP most of the time it has alot better sights on it also.